TG 2 I Auto Setting Photos.

The Old Ruminator

My old TG2 is still chugging away. Once in a while when its steamy I use the I Auto setting which will eliminate the back scatter. The camera, when flash is disabled, will then calculate its own settings to cope with the available light. Technically they wont be brilliant but I like the soft focus that occurs which can be interesting for portrait type studies. The camera will ramp up the ISO as well as open the aperture usually to f2. It will also give a slow shutter speed so the camera and subject must be static for a short while. My photos are hand held so can be a bit hit and miss.

f2, 1/15 sec, 800 ISO

f2, 1/8 sec , 800 ISO

f2, 1/10 sec, 800 ISO

The Frozen Deep.

f2  1/8 sec, ISO 1250

If the colours look too curious you could apply colour correction on Photoshop or render the image in black and white.

I was happy with the colour image but this is the black and white version. Upper Frozen Deep with a range here of nearly 30 metres to the back wall so very hard to light normally.

F2 , 1/10 sec, 1,000 ISO.

For the time it takes its worth banging off several shots remembering to hold the camera very still. Better to use some sort of support obviously. Simple camera, simple set up. Can pretty much be done on the move.

The Old Ruminator

Also remember to light the scene with headlamps correctly. I rely on my lamp for back or highlights and just the subjects lamps.

Cave photography can be fun when its so simple. (y)

ZombieCake

Similar principle - Pentax MX-1 compact, ISO 800, F2.0, 1/15.  Heavily compressed to appear here (from about 4Meg to 100 and something KB.  I call it 'Benevolent Paparazzi'.  That is taking opportune photos of various situations, but for the greater good rather than Sun readers.

Attachments

• LongHoleMX1_1v2.jpg
    LongHoleMX1_1v2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 162

mudman

Here you go then.
I use the TG-4 and will often use the handheld starlight mode to grab on the go shots. It takes a series of shots with a short shutter speed and then stacks them together to get a correct exposure. You still have to keep the camera steady as camera shake is still a problem but I will hold the camera against a wall preferably at arms length and then use my headlamp for light.
The camera records ISO and shutter speed but with this mode I don't think it means much.

Attachments

• 430201722389.jpg
    430201722389.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 156
  • 4302017223953.jpg
    4302017223953.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 150

mudman

The Old Ruminator said:
Ooo. I havn't tried that. I have a TG 4 and have used it for the Live Composite Mode. Perhaps that's similiar in effect.
I love Live Composite mode but it is definitely a method that has to have a tripod.
The Handheld Starlight is great for grabbing a shot when you don't want to stop to set up a tripod. I usually keep my camera in my inner pocket then you can whip it out  :-[ at any time to grab a picture. The one on The Bolt Traverse in OFD1 was typical of that and the boots on the Waterfall Series another.

The Old Ruminator

Which all goes to prove how adaptable the TG Series is. Photoshopped and intricate 35mm set ups look good and will usually feature in Descent or do well in competitions but they often looked " contrived " ( if that is the word ). They are also in danger of being formulaic and tend to miss " the moment ". My " models " are rarely posed as such. Maybe I ask them to move the head to take the headlamp to one side.

This one is the usual flash on TG2 Programme this week. I liked the framing of the scene and just asked the caver to look at his watch to give a " story ". I was part way down the dig  recording work at the bottom. I like names for images so called this one -

" Can we go home yet ? "

As usual my headlamp illuminates part of the scene.

mudman

I agree. I think that it is one of the main strengths of the TG series that it is able to take very good pictures that enable the telling of a story and you can do so with the minimum of kit. I did buy a bright LED handtorch that I can hold away from the camera and I prefer the colour temperature of it. It is also good for live composite mode and means I haven't got to take my hat off.
Another advantage of the handheld starlight mode is that because it is taking a lot of individual pictures that are then 'stacked' means that you can get the impression of water movement. This one was taken in the OFD1 streamway, most likely using the hand torch and possibly someone else's headtorch for illumination (I forget, age thing). Quality isn't great as I grabbed it from Facebook as I'm not at my laptop at the moment.

Attachments

• OFD1Streamway.jpg
    OFD1Streamway.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 156

The Old Ruminator

Good stuff Mr M. I bought a super duper LED torch from Ebay that I have not actually tried as yet. I guess it will work well with LCM ( discussed elsewhere on this forum ).  Really I am on my cave photography soap box again. It can be so easy and so inexpensive now to get interesting cave photos. Well within the capabilities of any cave explorer. Cameras can only get more " intuitive " and make the process easier still though I usually like a little final edit. The thing is not to denigrate something because of the little effort involved. Composition is still something that has to be learned and understood by all photographers as really that is the key element in any image.

richardg

The Third photo, the one of the pitch with a caver at the bottom and at the top is, I think, remarkable, you have got an incredible amount of cave in that shot... It contains a lot of caver action, a rare shot, well done!
And it shows what a great camera this is....

The Old Ruminator

Continuing the theme --

This weeks images.

f2, 1/25 sec, 800 ISO.

You can get some unusual angles this way.
F2, 1/8 sec, 1,000 ISO

f2, 1/8 sec, 1,250 ISO

f2,  1/20 sec, 800 ISO

On yer head  ! f2,1/30 sec, 800 ISO

The Old Ruminator

A couple from this week. This technique lends itself to record keeping and our group email reports. This time I took 170 images and kept about 40. You will always end up with many that are poor. This usually due to subject movement or poor focusing in the dark. Basically I try not to be a pest by asking people to stop and pose.