DIY hangers

maxf

Has anyone made their own hangers ? I have seen a few which look homemade...

I am thinking of making some out of some stainless angle section, any tips or pointers about sizes or thickness of material ?

This is more for hand line stuff rather than technical rigging...

langcliffe

People used to make their own bollards in the 1980s. The bollard was a great bit of kit - feather light, compact, and no maillons nor karabiners required:

bollard.jpg

Simon Wilson

Why do you want to use stainless steel? Assuming these are for temporary use, there are better materials than stainless steel. Both mild steel and aluminium are cheaper and easier to work and it's better to bend plate or flat section than use angle section.

MarkS

I belive MarkR on this forum made a bunch of the sort Mark Wright linked to above, and realised when they were first used that they were all angled to suit left handed people.  :LOL:

maxf

Simon Wilson said:
Why do you want to use stainless steel? Assuming these are for temporary use, there are better materials than stainless steel. Both mild steel and aluminium are cheaper and easier to work and it's better to bend plate or flat section than use angle section.

It seems that I can buy angle section cut to length and drill two holes, finish the edges and have something that is usable with no bending involved so that would be by motivation for choosing angle section.

As for choosing stainless over mild if i'm taking the time to make them then I would rather they lasted even if they are to be left somewhere random.

As for choosing stainless over alloy then I believe I would need thicker material if going down the alloy route and it doesn't seem as readily available in thicker angle sections from my quick google searches this morning.

I have no issues machining stainless steel so that is not a problem for me.

maxf

maxf said:
Simon Wilson said:

It seems that I can buy angle section cut to length and then drill two holes, finish the edges and have something that is usable with no bending involved so that would be by motivation for choosing angle section.

As for choosing stainless over mild if i'm taking the time to make them then I would rather they lasted even if they are to be left somewhere random.

As for choosing stainless over alloy then I believe I would need thicker material if going down the alloy route and it doesn't seem as readily available in thicker angle sections from my quick google searches this morning.

andrewmcleod

maxf said:
This is more for hand line stuff rather than technical rigging...

I've never understood why people think handline rigging should be any less bombproof than SRT rigging. In many cases, sudden handline failure could very easily lead to serious injury if not death.

Simon Wilson

maxf said:
maxf said:
Simon Wilson said:

It seems that I can buy angle section cut to length and then drill two holes, finish the edges and have something that is usable with no bending involved so that would be by motivation for choosing angle section.

Your original question was about dimensions. I think the best guidance is the dimensions of commercially produced hangers.

You say, "if they are to be left somewhere random". What random place were you thinking of?

maxf

Duncan Price said:
Simon Wilson said:
You say, "if they are to be left somewhere random". What random place were you thinking of?

Not anywhere many other people will ever go.  :D

Thats cheating as I sure you know where i'm planning !

But yes checking out random leads that probably go no where that sort of thing.

Also other uses like dive line belays at starts and ends of sumps where natural features are lacking, making washing lines to hang dive kit from etc etc etc

Many uses for cheap hangers that don't require a 22kn rating...

andrewmcleod

maxf said:
Also other uses like dive line belays at starts and ends of sumps where natural features are lacking, making washing lines to hang dive kit from etc etc etc

Many uses for cheap hangers that don't require a 22kn rating...

Ideally use something that doesn't look like a hanger then? (like a washer with a bit of wire threaded through it or something).

If it isn't going to be used much/at all then it should be removed after use.

Duncan Price

maxf said:

M8 lifting eyebolts are good for this. ?1.75