Cavers for film shooting

Vesterskov

Dear all

We are at the moment shooting a danish film by the director Lars von Trier, and are planning to do some af the scenes in the caves in UK (we've heard it's the best). However we need some experienced cavers to help us with this shoot. Date hasn't been decided yet, but preferably during this summer. So if you could be interested in this project, please write me an email to stine.vesterskov@filmbyen.dk and i'll tell you more about the project.

All the best
Stine

droid

It's a documentary: 'British Caving Politics'. 18 certificate, 14 hours long.....

mikem

Some of the best caves, but not great accessibility for film crews - The Descent may have been filmed in UK, but all the underground scenes were done on sets...

Mike

Laurie

This should have been just an honest request made by the OP.
So far all he's had are childish coments which is not giving a fair representation of the normal British caver, in fact it's making us all look like a load of idiots.
I suggest that the Mods wipe all but the original post and let the thread restart sensibly.

crickleymal

Laurie said:
So far all he's had are childish coments which is not giving a fair representation of the normal British caver, in fact it's making us all look like a load of idiots.

Are you sure that's not a fair representation?

Leclused

Hi,

I'm not able to help yuu with a cave in the Uk. But I can help with some tips because I (and other Belgian cavers) received a similar questions a few years ago.

Conditions
- Cave entrance should be nearby a road so that equipment can be brought on site.
- Cave entrance should be big enough
- Some wide enough passage ways nearby the entrance is also helpfull
- chose a relatively dry cave with a good airflow. A lot of moist in the air makes filming difficult.

As example this is what I suggested

Porche-dentr

The picture was taken from the road, even accesible for small trucks. The entrance is big enough for a complete film crew, at the left some large passageways are starting. The cave is ventilated and is mostly dry. Only when the nearby river (other side of  the road) is flooded then the river goes into the cave.

BR

Dagobert

droid

Laurie said:
I suggest that the Mods wipe all but the original post and let the thread restart sensibly.

The words 'normal' and 'British caver' don't belong in the same sentence.

You're forgetting sofa rugby, table traverses and trying to climb round the fireplace.... :LOL:

ZombieCake

Stine,
It would be helpful to know what part (or parts) of the UK you're thinking of filming in, sort of film (documentary, action, etc.) the type of help needed and so on.

Leclused

ZombieCake said:
Likewise - e-mail sent. Are you using real film or digital? (Doesn't matter - just interested).

A while ago we had a TV filmcrew with us in a cave and they were using a digital Canon Eos 5D - full hd photocamera to shoot inside the cave.

The cameraman in the cave :
DSCF2127%25255B4%25255D.jpg

This camera was a lot smaller then the big camera they used outside. So IMO it does matter :) A smaller camera will work easier in the cave.

Leclused

Leclused said:
ZombieCake said:
Likewise - e-mail sent. Are you using real film or digital? (Doesn't matter - just interested).

A while ago we had a TV filmcrew with us in a cave and they were using a digital Canon Eos 5D - full hd photocamera to shoot inside the cave.

The cameraman in the cave :
DSCF2127%25255B4%25255D.jpg

This camera was a lot smaller then the big camera they used outside. So IMO it does matter :) A smaller camera will work easier in the cave.

This was the clip : https://vimeo.com/82768906

Amy

Im not in the Uk but have a fun antidote of what not to do when filming in a cave:

They filmed parts of Tom and Huck in Cathedral Caverns here in alabama. Chosen because it is a wonderful show cave, wide and tall, with a paved trail even so wheelchair (and golf cart) accessible as the person who developed it thought all should have a way to enjoy the underground. HUGE passage, dry as a cave can be, lots air flow, super easy to film in, right?

Well they still sent folk to hospital because the idiots (against the advisor's advice) dragged in generators to run all the lights and equipment. The fumes (and whole lack-of-oxygen thing) started to suffocate folks and they had to close the whole cave for a while.

glyders

Last year whenIi was taking groups into Porth-yr-Ogof, they were filming Britannia. Seriously impressive organisation. Fake boulders, tribal markings, lighting, etc. Even had a massive camera drone fly in the main entrance.