Can we take scouts caving??

Hi all

Our club has been approached regarding perhaps organising a "caving experience trip" for some scouts. That's the limit of the details so far.

As an ex-scout I am very keen on this and think it's great but it does make me wonder a few things...

1. I doubt any of us are CRB checked except the teacher in our club
2. As a BCA affiliated club with green cards, are we actually insured to take scouts caving (all of whom I am guessing are younger than 18)
3. I don't think anyone in our club holds a formal ticket for caving (CIC or whatever)

Anyone got any comment on whether this is a) feasible or b) sensible!

We would love to help out, and it's a shame that these days the above is the first thing I think about when looking at this, but equally it's better that everyone is aware of where they stand.

Cheers
Matt

alexshaw92

Hi Matt, I am the team leader for Derbyshire Scout Caving Team, I'm happy to give you some advice/point you in the right direction. Drop me a private message. Cheers, Alex

PaulW

Hi Matt

If alex cant assist you,get in touch.

A short answer is a caving club will not have the relevant insurance DBS and Quals / Licenses to be able to do it.

I have contacts in most of the scout caving teams around the country, So hopefully we can find someone that can help

Also If any of your club are interested in helping with scout caving, I can point you in the right direction for that aswell

PaulW
West sussex scout caving
Association of Scout Caving Teams

phizz4

A link to the Scout association information on using an external provider for caving.
https://members.scouts.org.uk/supportresources/14/caving?cat=419,26,407,351&moduleID=24&runMethod=commercial

paull

my advice is to tell the person to contact the association of scout caving teams or their district or county commissioner.  What shocks me is that the scout leader has approached a club  :confused: rules and regulation in the scout association are there for a reason and i would have thought that with all the training scout leaders are given the answer would be clear

Paul
west lancashire scout caving team

mattc610

I agree with what they should do, but think the leader should be congratulated for taking the initiative and making an attempt to get the scouts underground.
MattC
Surrey Scout Caving Club

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Having done some research and read all your replies I have responded and provided contacts (from the relevant websites) for both Derbyshire Scouts and West Lancs.  It's a real shame we couldn't help out these days, as I know at least one of our members was brought on board due to being taken on a trip as a Guide back in the day.

But tis what it is. Good on them for looking at some adventurous activities for their troop.

Matt
Proud ex-member of Chorley Healey Troop

PaulW

Thank you for passing them on to someone who can assist them

Taking guides caving these days is even more restrictive

PaulW

Association of about caving teams