Dimensions of a breeze block?

Stu

Seriously, what size do they come in? I'm building a retaining wall for a garden feature, to raise the level.

TIA

Stuart

martinr

google "breeze block dimensions"

eg

http://www.buildingdesign.co.uk/arch-4/h+h-celcon/aircrete-blocks.htm

Celcon aircrete blocks are available in a variety of grades and are produced to comply with BS 6073. They are produced blocks with three face dimensions: 440 x 215 mm for normal blocks, 610 x 215 mm for the new Plus Block range and 610 x 270 mm for the larger Jumbo Plus block. We are able to manufacture these blocks in a wide range of thicknesses from 100 mm up to 300 mm.

Les W

Depends on which size you want  ;) ;)

Standard block is 8" by 18" by 3" but they come in many sizes :-\

Stu

Cheers guys. Saw the Google entry but wanted to check as there were far too many big nasty builder type words getting in the way!!!  :eek:

Slug

CELCON blocks are OK You can cut them with an ordinary hand saw, But If I remember right, they're not very good on "outdoor" jobs. They are well porous (like a sponge), and when winter comes along, they'll crack, and disintegrate. Why not just shutter it and pour in concrete?

Les W

Slug is right Celcon blocks and other similar types (thermalite, etc.) are not generally suitable for outdoor use.  :(

Standard concrete blocks should be fine for a wall. If you are burying them then you might want to consider sulphur resisting cement, but the lifespan of ordinary concrete blocks will be many years.  (y)

Wolfart

When i terraced my garden at the back i used concrete hollows 18"x8"x5 1/2" or 18"x8"x9".deppending on how high or length you will need to put some plasitc pipe 2" or 4" for drainage  about every 6" hpe that is of some help

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Wow this topic is crazy.  A simple question with over 80,000 views shows the power of the web.

Thanks to our lead analytical statistician for pointing this out.  The thread comes up high on the list for searches on breeze block sizes - try it.  Great if you are building a garage or block house.

(y)