Abseil accident

Roger W

The end of the rope certainly looks frayed out as it bounces up, leaving the poor guy in free fall.

royfellows

To snap like that it must have been a sharp metal edge, although slate can be razor sharp which is why I dont like SRT in slate mines.

Brains

I cant make out any rope on the ground, or any rope below the end, so it may have been too short without a knot. Excessive tail on a knot, working under the bridge and planning on swinging in, other rope out of site...
Hope he survived - bet it stung a bit in the morning  :(

Roger W

Looking again carefully - the rope is a colour that makes it hard to see, but it does seem to be visible hanging down below him at about 0.03.  I don't think he just abseiled off the end.

He looks to have got below the bridge when the rope seems to snap and the top part, released from the strain, flies upwards showing that frayed end.

What was he using for a descender?

Simon Wilson

It doesn't look like rope; it looks like washing line and I think it snapped at the descender. In this screenshot you can see the end of the washing line below the edge of the bridge as it springs upwards. He appears to be using some sort of self-locking descender and sets off very fast when he squeezes the handle. He then appears to stop suddenly before the washing line breaks. Did he let go of the handle? If it was the descender that caused the washing line to break, what was the mechanism?

I hope he survived.

snapshot_zpseotqslph.jpg

paul

Simon Wilson said:
...He appears to be using some sort of self-locking descender and sets off very fast when he squeezes the handle. He then appears to stop suddenly before the washing line breaks.....

Could the cord/rope in use have a low melting point and just melted when he stopped? I know it's not likely, but it could be an explanation.

Simon Wilson

That's what I was thinking. If it's a Stop descender (or simliar), could enough heat be generated in a split second to melt a low melting point cord?

royfellows

Without factual information we are all guessing really. It does look as though the rope has failed without any contact with the bridge. Unfortunately its all speculation. For all we know he could have been using a home made or modified descender, its starting to look as though that's the failure point.

Maj

The rope appears to fail at his descender.

A fraction of a second after the rope fails, you can see the remaining top section of rope still reaches him as it starts to recoil up since no longer loaded. Also at this point you can see the bottom section of rope below him.

I suspect that either the descender cut through/damaged the rope causing the rope to fail, or the rope was already damaged and when loaded below that point, the rope failed.

:-\
Was the rope suitable for abseiling on?
Was the rope in good condition?
What descender, if any, was he using?

o_O
Rope contacts bridge and no protection for rope (but not the cause).
But he was wearing hard hat & gloves.

Potential Darwin Award winner if he was responsible for the equipment and rigging.
But it may have been someone else that was allegedly responsible and he assumed they knew what they were doing.

Either way  :eek: Not a good ending.

Maj.

tamarmole

paul said:
Simon Wilson said:
...He appears to be using some sort of self-locking descender and sets off very fast when he squeezes the handle. He then appears to stop suddenly before the washing line breaks.....

Could the cord/rope in use have a low melting point and just melted when he stopped? I know it's not likely, but it could be an explanation.

Didn't something similar to this happen at GG back in the 70s?  Chap abseiling on polyprop, takes a breather, hot descender melts rope.

Alex

Judging by his fall time, which was about a second, he could not have fallen more than 30ft and landed on his feet(ish) not his head so it is likely he survived, though there does appear to be a secondary impact on his back, due to the angle he landed. But what is in his favour he seemed to land in a small bush.

royfellows

We all wish well for him but its important for the cause of the accident to be known so as to avoid repetition.

I have had a further thought in that its possible that he started off to fast and then attempted to use the Stop autolock as a brake which is bad practice. (Assuming its a Petzl Stop) This would compound the situation.
I always fit a braking crab without fail following an 'experience' when I was a beginner.

Alex

Yes I had one of those in my early days in Tatham, still no idea how it happened. All I can think of was I had too much slack, the next thing I knew I was at the bottom of the pitch with rope burns on my hand, a busted knee pad and badly bruised knee (dropped about 4m, I think)

Looking at this accident, I would say the rope was dynamic rope, if not elastic, due to the distance and speed it shot up. A static or semi-static rope under strain when cut does not bounce up like that!

Brains

Falls looks survivable - cant say the same for his underwear.
Having helped with some drop tests a number of years ago semi static can jump a fair bit when cut free, but it does look more like washing line