Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name

boredrobots

Ello, ello, everyone.

My name is Steven and...every time I do an introduction like this I feel like I'm standing in an AA group meeting...and I'm from Leeds.

I was brought up by a climbing, caving, kayaking, adventurer type family, but never fully appreciated their pursuits later in life (when I was old enough to go it 'alone'). I did love doing all of this stuff as a kid, but kids are kids and because I didn't know any different I took it for granted, doing bits here and there but never really going hell for leather for it.

Now I'm older (not wiser), I'm slowly getting back into some of the stuff us Chapmans were famous for :)

This weekend I'm taking a group up to Long Churn, which I've heard about since I was knee high to a grasshopper, but have never actually done (jeez, I sure am saying 'but' a lot in this post, right?). I've heard stories about the Cheese Press since I was a nipper, and I'm dying to go through it :D

Fingers crossed the water levels won't be too bad and I'll be wedging myself up Dr Bannister's before the end of tomorrow.

For about a year now I've been taking out a small group on weekly adventures (hill bagging, canyoning, leaping into rivers, that kind of stuff), but they're starting to dwindle...only in enthusiasm! I'm not losing 'em to mishaps on a regular basis or anything. Honest, guv!

If all goes well I'd love to join a group or club (Morley Pot Hole Club looks to be closest) so I can get out there with enthusiastic people and have some fun.

Anyway, just wanted to say hellllooo to you all :)

cap n chris

:)  Hellloooooo and welcome to the UK's Finest Caving Online Forum by a long chalk, Boredrobots! I hope you have lots of excellent cavey adventures. Clearly your use of the expression "Done" for visiting Long Churn ranks you already among the cogniscenti of experienced speleologisty types as it's a traditional phrase bandied around by those in the know.

Keep on done-ing caves.  :)

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Hello!

If you are going down Longchurn this weekend I'd plan for Saturday rather than Sunday, looking at the forecast - have fun  ;)

boredrobots

Cavey adventures a plenty methinks!

We did do (done, doing-ed, done-ded?) Long Churn today because of the forecast. Water levels were fine down there, and it was great to see it all :) The only bit we didn?t manage to get to was the Cheesepress (bugger monkeys ? bit peeved about that) because we faffed too much and a few of the group were suffering with the cold. I don?t think a dip in Plank Pool would have done them any good :S

But I got to climb Dr Bannister?s twice, have a bit of a swim, and dangle my legs into Diccan, so it was a good day :p

andys

boredrobots said:
I was brought up by a climbing, caving, kayaking, adventurer ...........
If all goes well I'd love to join a group or club (Morley Pot Hole Club looks to be closest) so I can get out there with enthusiastic people and have some fun.

The Morley are a good lot and generally welcome new members. And they also have close ties with another club who might help you realise some of the other activities you've mentioned. Drop me a PM if interested and I'll send you contact details for both.