Are cavers (on this forum at least, and those who choose to respond) atheist?

Do you consider yourself to be atheist?

• Yes

Votes: 74 74.7%
  • No

Votes: 25 25.3%

• Total voters

graham

I am and I don't mind who knows it as I have no intention of running for public office in the USA.

exsumper

As a child I was dragged around numerous churches in Rome to view the  relics of the saint the churches were dedicated to. I noted that some of these saints appeared to have more than four limbs??. Do my fellow forumites believe this to have been an evolutionary adaptation or that religion is a load of old cock???

Blakethwaite

I aren't and I don't mind who knows it though I have no intention of running for public office in the USA. Not unless they ask nicely anyhow.

Bob Smith

I thought it funny the other day when I heard someone describe religious conflicts as being about who has the most powerful imaginary friend.

I expect it is a comfort for some people to have someone to talk to, even if they never listen.

martinm

Anyone who thinks the Earth, the Solar System and the Universe was created in 6 days a few thousand years ago needs counselling. The Earth alone is nearly 4 billion years old and Humanoid type fossils have been found that are hundreds of thousands of years old! Nuff said...  :coffee:

Blakethwaite

Perhaps an equally enlightening poll would be:

Do you consider that your opinion on any given subject is solely dependent upon what has been dominating the Guardian/Mail on Sunday non-fiction bestseller list for the last six months? (see Mein Kampf/Eats Shoots/Greatest Show et al).

Options: yes/no/whatever the fashionable opinion currently is.  :ras:

exsumper

Or alternatively

Do you consider that your opinion on religion is solely dependent on that which has dominated the thought processes of credulous idiots for the last two thousand years?

As Graham alluded to earlier I think you'll find that athiesm has gained a more visible profile as the penalties for holding that opinion have reduced in severity. Its not just a fashionable trend.

:icon_321:

You may be right!  I may have spent most of today digging the sedimentary evidence of Noah's flood out of a cave passage; Although I sincerely doubt it.

graham

exsumper said:
You may be right!  I may have spent most of today digging the sedimentary evidence of Noah's flood out of a cave passage; Although I sincerely doubt it.

Of course cave sediments had a lot to do with convincing certain noted nineteenth century geologists of the reality of deep time and the inaccuracy of the scriptural accounts of the origin of the earth.

Blakethwaite

[quote author=exsumper]

You may be right!  Although I sincerely doubt it.
[/quote]

Well I'm charitable enough to hope I'm wrong to be honest. I won't burn in a fiery eternity if you're correctt...

graham

Blakethwaite said:
[quote author=exsumper]

You may be right!  Although I sincerely doubt it.

Well I'm charitable enough to hope I'm wrong to be honest. I won't burn in a fiery eternity if you're correctt...
[/quote]

A reverse Pascal's Wager!

droid

graham said:
Of course cave sediments had a lot to do with convincing certain noted nineteenth century geologists of the reality of deep time and the inaccuracy of the scriptural accounts of the origin of the earth.

I suspect that Hutton's Uncomformity might have played a part, too.... ;)

mikem

I've never really understood why anyone would take scripture to be an accurate account of the history of the earth, it's just the best explanation they had at the time...

Mike