Health hazards of hosepipes

Legionellae tend only to grow at temperatures between 25C and 45C - the risk in an underground UK site is therefore likely to be minimal.

A surface siphon - yes, certainly something to consider.
Steve

Pitlamp

I suspect the problem could arise if you keep a length of hose in the shed (particularly in summer) then take it underground to use on a project. In future, in that scenario, I think I'd be tempted to run some Domestos through it before use, as a basic precaution.

Just thought this was something cavers might at least like to be aware of as a possible hazard.

shotlighter

Never mind siphons, a greater risk is hosing off or pressure washing kit. Dont forget, the main route of infection is inhaling airborne droplets.

mulucaver

shotlighter said:
Never mind siphons, a greater risk is hosing off or pressure washing kit. Dont forget, the main route of infection is inhaling airborne droplets.
This happened to me 2 years ago after a big flood at my home in Sarawak. I nearly died.

shotlighter

mulucaver said:
shotlighter said:
This happened to me 2 years ago after a big flood at my home in Sarawak. I nearly died.
It wasn't legionella but a few years back, I got a dreadful chest infection in similar circumstances. Felt like poo, took a month off work  & 3 courses of antibiotics to shift it. All thanks to pressure washing the patio.
Simple paper dust mask would have probably prevented it.
Take care! 

pwhole

The car-washing stations that use pressure-washers must be a public health hazard too - I always cross the road if I'm near one. Imagine a car has been to a farmyard and has cowshit all over it - these guys then blast it into the street at high velocity as a fine aerosol so that everyone can breathe it in. Yum.

Bob Mehew

ALEXW

Anything with a moist bladder, ("oo er missus") Bag pipes and diving gear (ABLJ or stab jacket) are both known to have made people ill.

Pitlamp

Very true, that's why there are standard procedures for managing rebreather counterlung hygiene. In the case of hose pipes, they're quite difficult to dry out the inside as residual water collects in the bottom of the coils. A good blast through of compressed air (e.g. from a diving cylinder) goes a long way towards removing much of this water. But if planning to start a siphon by sucking on a hosepipe it's probably worth considering the use of a disinfectant first. Starting it by pouring water into the upstream end continuously via a funnel is safer and, in my experience, actually more effective.

Bob Mehew

Pitlamp said:
Starting it by pouring water into the upstream end continuously via a funnel is safer and, in my experience, actually more effective.
Even more effective is a venturi device attached to the high point of the syphon with both ends of the syphon normally kept under water.  When the syphon breaks and reseals at both ends, the venturi sucks the air out and restarts the syphon.  It has worked fairly reliably at ANUS for over thirty years.  It does need a near by flowing stream to supply the venturi device though.