I'm the new BCA newsletter editor - request for help

David Rose

Hello. I've agreed to take over editing the BCA quarterly newsletter.

I'd like it to become a bit more lively, and reflect some of the debates and controversies that sometimes affect the caving world. Obviously I have my own views on some of these issues (it's no secret that I am strongly in favour of CROW Act access) but it's my intention to report on such matters in a neutral, balanced way.

It's also my hope that each time a newsletter is issued, cavers will want to debate its contents. The place to do this is obviously right here, on UKcaving.com. So with the agreement of Andy Eavis and Badlad, aka Tim Allen, I will post a link to each new newsletter on the forum, and invite readers to discuss it. I hope by this means the BCA may come to seem less remote from the wider caving community, and perhaps more accountable. 

I have no intention of trying to compete with existing caving news sources, such as the excellent Descent magazine and the forum itself. But if there is anything you'd like to see in the newsletter, please get in touch, either via a personal message here or by email. My address is david@davidroseuk.com

Many of you will know me of or of me as a veteran but still active caver. I cave in all the main UK regions and abroad. My most recent trip was a four-day jaunt in Riesending, the deepest and longest cave in Germany, last month. I co-wrote the book Beneath the Mountains with my friend Richard Gregson, about OUCC Picos trips in the 1980s, and I'm currently working on another, more general book, The World Beneath the World, to be published by Penguin/Jonathan Cape. I'm also a veteran journalist, and as well as investigative reporting on other matters, have written about caving in the Mail on Sunday, the Sunday Times magazine, the Observer and the Guardian. For many years I've tried to present a positive image of our fantastic, ever-absorbing and multi-faceted activity. 

Oceanrower

David Rose said:
I'd like it to become a bit more lively, and reflect some of the debates and controversies that sometimes affect the caving world.

I wish you well. Especially as it seems to be the intent of the owners of this forum to try and make it "less" lively!

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Oceanrower said:
David Rose said:
I'd like it to become a bit more lively, and reflect some of the debates and controversies that sometimes affect the caving world.

I wish you well. Especially as it seems to be the intent of the owners of this forum to try and make it "less" lively!

Sorry to hear that Oceanrower, but with nearly 20% of the BCA membership being 65 and over you've got to be careful you don't induce any medical problems.  ;) 
However, intellectually stimulating or perceptive discussion is very welcome.

Good luck to David, we fully support his efforts in this role.  I'm sure he has noticed the fine job both CNCC and Cambrian has done with their newsletters and the positive effect this has on readers.  (y)