Author Topic: 10th Oct - Wed @ 6pm (onwards) - Compton Martin Project  (Read 7454 times)

Offline menacer

• junky
  • Craven Pothole Club
10th Oct - Wed @ 6pm (onwards) - Compton Martin Project
« on: October 09, 2007, 10:17:54 am »
More renovations occuring on this mine on the above date
This is a mammouth task and as many people as possible are invited to attend these working sessions.

For regular darkplace users more info can be taken here

Darkplaces Event (registered members only) - http://www.c**tplaces.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6792

Info and Project status
http://www.c**tplaces.co.uk/Wikka/ComptonMartinOchreMine
http://www.c**tplaces.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6478

For ukcaving users more info can be gained from here

http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php/topic,4278.0.html

Everyone welcome..... :thumbsup: (even Downer  ;) )
Chaos, panic, and disorder - my work here is done.

Offline Elaine

• forum hero
  • Axbridge Caving Group
Re: 10th Oct - Wed @ 6pm (onwards) - Compton Martin Project
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 11:13:59 am »
Ooh, are we starting again?

Unfortunately Wednesday night is diggin' night and we are on a time-limited mission at Templeton at the moment. Therefore we can't come. It is way too early for us anyway.

However, a sensible question I have is what about parking? If I remember correctly, there is only parking for one or two cars unless you have a 4WD thingy, then you can just about squeeze in on a 45o slope between two trees. So if anyone was to come along where do they park?
Wot tiny writing!

Offline whitelackington

• forum hero
  • Pyrenees Potholer Digger
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 12:08:20 pm »
I wish you lot good fortune,
if I lived on Mendip,
I would be helping,
are you opening that blocked bit near the entrance?

darkplaces

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 12:16:42 pm »
No plans to open any other entrances.

Park IS an issue, people can care share please from the WCC hutch or ask permission to park in the pub up the road, they have been very good on the last couple of times, good beer, not the hunters though. By squeezing and blocking self we can get a few cars in and spoken to a couple of locals haven't had a problem. Yes couple of cars can park further up the hill past someone's drive way (please do not block it as he/she requires a wide tuning circle).

This event is open to all! I'll try and arrive early and setup and hand line up the hill the ocher gets slippery.

darkplaces

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 11:37:17 am »
Attending - as off 10th Oct @ 11:37am
root
pete
joker001
known
menacer

joker001

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 10:43:41 pm »
Well that was a good productive evening. Me, Known and Menacer got to work on building three walls and back filling them aswell putting up one support. While Root (c**tplaces) and Pete cleared one passage way.

Thanks to everyone who turned up.

Nice to meet you Menacer.

Sorry I couldn't join you all in the pub afterwards.

darkplaces

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 11:39:55 pm »
We wondered were you had gone?

Thanks everyone the place is looking much better and I look forward to the before and after photos. Yes I see sleeper gaps in the floor.

Offline menacer

• junky
  • Craven Pothole Club
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 12:16:38 pm »
Ok Here are some pics..

Root and Pete (not tuesday s or thursdays) clearing back to the floor.....which is somewhere down there

Gnome wonders where to begin....

Lets get cracking..Joker and Gnome .....

Now the other wall

Danaaaa!!! Passage way cleared, rocks stacked and floor found...

Menacers crowbar "Rod of Iron" for beating dictating thrashing management purposes  ;D
we couldnt mangage without it..

Must be time for the pub now....

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 12:29:55 pm by menacer »
Chaos, panic, and disorder - my work here is done.

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
  • Left ukcaving by this name
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 01:39:12 pm »
How did the mine get in such a mess?

darkplaces

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 01:48:22 pm »
A lot of the supports are totally rotten, fallen, gone/vanished! Some movement indicated by large rocks from the roof now new floor. My guess is that this movement collapsed dry stone walls keeping back rubble. People pushing over deads to check for passages, just general using deads as hand/foot holds weakens them and they fall. The natural action of pressure to 'fill the void' will push the floor up, sides in and roof down over time this can result in the result we see. The answer is regular small amounts of maintenance, every visit to pick up a stone and place it back on the pile. This is why mines should be visited and looked after.

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 02:07:28 pm »
I can see you are doing a great job.  :thumbsup: Does anyone know what the place looked like before it started to deteriorate? Are there any bits left that are still in original OK condition? The reason I ask is I wonder how you know what to do to 'restore' the site. I suppose you can see where props once stood, but what about the stacked deads?
I am planning to restore an exceptionally good mine passage over the winter, where a few digs have been started indiscriminately, pulling down drystone walls and leaving the mess all over the passage. Rather than restore the dig when it was abandoned, the diggers just left the mess, really spoiling the place. I want to throw the dig spoil back into the hole, and rebuild the wall. I can remember what it looked like, and there is a lot of passage left still, that has not been touched.

darkplaces

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 02:29:09 pm »
Thanks. I have no idea what it looked like before.

If anyone has any old pictures of Compton Martin Ocher Mine please contact me/forward them to me please.

We are pulling out the remains of the original walls and rebuilding the base. Sometimes we can only create a new wall linking supports. Its like a giant puzzle to move all the stones around. In one end working we checked for artefacts and wall marks then with deads built a seating area.

Copyright Rookinella
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=19237&highlight=compton+martin
Sometimes we uncover interesting things and we place them on the artefact table in the 1st passage.

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 02:31:55 pm »
I've got one or two, but I couldn't tell you which bit of the mine they are in. I'll dig them out.

Offline Les W

• Hard cavin'
  • forum hero
  • Wessex Cave Club, UCET
    • Wessex Cave Club
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 06:41:00 pm »
The passages at the rear of the mine are the best preserved, I have photos somewhere which I will post (If I can find them).

The method of stacking the deads was to infill between the props and backfill behind the deads with smaller material, when the props rot away, they no longer support the walls of deads which then fall down.  :( Passage of people then tread them into the floor. In some places there are 1m gaps behind where the props were and the floor is maybe a metre higher than it was. The Darkplaces boys (and girls) are doing an excellent job that was started by CSCC some 14 years ago and will be ongoing for the forseable future,

Keep up the good works.  :thumbsup:
I'm a very busy person

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 07:20:39 pm »
I've sent three pics from 1990 to WCMS webmaster for the gallery. I'll post a link to them when they are up. Two show good condition passages, one is a big mess.

Offline clunk

• First I will kiss her, then I will
  • player
  • Too young for the beard and pipe.
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 08:32:29 pm »
Ok Here are some pics..

Pete (not tuesday s or thursdays)
This made me laugh.
Every time a trip is suggested, he always posts': 'I can come but not tuesdays or thursday's'
Did he have a helmet on?

darkplaces

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 11:44:37 pm »
No helmet, combat boots, no oversuit a fine example of a c**tplaces member  :tease:

Offline clunk

• First I will kiss her, then I will
  • player
  • Too young for the beard and pipe.
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 12:00:02 am »
Bet he suffered from the wotsit syndrome...................

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 03:52:27 pm »
I've sent three pics from 1990 to WCMS webmaster for the gallery. I'll post a link to them when they are up. Two show good condition passages, one is a big mess.

darkplaces

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2007, 04:33:14 pm »
Brill thanks, here is the c**tplaces album, Arranged into initial assessment and work days. I'll start looking though but hopefully someone will be able to compare the pictures.
http://www.c**tplaces.co.uk/phpBB2/album_cat.php?cat_id=495

Cheers.