Equipment

kieronyoung

i am asking this on here rather then area specific or specific mining/caving websites (area specific) as i know this is a UK wide caving/mining site.

What equipment do you need to begin with (the equipment which sites dont have) such as overalls ect

I have been told just trackies and something warm others have said over/under suites/ dry suites (depending on the mine/cave) as i dont know which mine/ cave will be my first i dont really want to spend more money then i need to just incase i dont get on underground or dont like it.

Kieron Young x

flexx

Welcome

I made sure my first mine and cave were dry and warmish so as not to buy unnecessary gear.
I had a cheap boiler suit,wellies and a builders hat with an Argos torch attached to it.
Cost me about ?20 in all but i could and have spent a lot more.
Where abouts are you some people may be able to recommend a mine or cave as your first.

Cheers

robjones

Unless you can tolerate freezing cold feet, I'd recommend wetsocks (available mail order from caving shops) as the first purchase. I only did one trip with woolly socks though I managed a year with boilersuit and old clothes.  ;)

There are loads of cheap head torches around these days but cheap = poor build quality so take at least one and preferably two back-up lights for when the inevitable happens...  ::)

Plastic builders' helmets are fine for starting out.

On the above basis it'll probably cost you more in petrol than equipment for your first trip!  :)

If you join a club then they may have equipment they can loan to newbies.

kieronyoung

So wetsocks, and a boiler suit.

What to wear on feet, i have seen people wearing caving wellies and others wearing boots. which would you recommend i have some decent boots i wear for airsofting would they be ok.

(i can borrow lid/lights from other member)

kay

Old warm clothes. Avoid cotton at all costs - it goes cold and clammy when wet. Even a cotton t shirt can make you cold. I speak from experience.

Something old and waterproof on top. You probably will get wet, but waterproof clothing slows down the speed at which water gets in, and slows down the exchange of water so you don't get as cold.

Wellies. Don't wear "decent boots'. They'll be trashed.

marigolds to act as "wet suit for hands".

You can hire caving helmets and lights for a few pounds a day. Spare torch is essential. You probably won't need it, but the consequences of needing it and not having it are dire.

And leave a bag of spare clothes in the car, including underpants. You will get wet.

Once you've decided you enjoy it, you can start buying kit, but it's pointless for your first trip.

And have a look at
http://www.trycaving.co.uk/content/view/28/1/

simonsays

I'd echo the comment about the wetsuit socks. Available online quite cheaply. Also consider hiring a helmet/light for the day for your first couple of trips. You don't want the cave to destroy a nice headlight designed for a life above ground.

kieronyoung

As in "Decent" i mean good tread, grip and comfy.

Real new-by question here --- Wet-socks are they worn under the boots, or in place of boots.

Les W

Wetsocks are worn inside boots

I will say though that whilst wetsocks are superb, I wouldn't get too stressed about having them. If you are wearing wellies that don't leak (water will still get in them) then they will retain the water, which will act as an insulator, so long as you don't keep tipping it out. Woolen socks will work fine with this, for a few trips, especially if you aren't actually doing "wet" caves where you are constantly in the water.  (y)

kieronyoung

right wetsocks, and boots it is then i thinks. (and i am doing dry cave which might have a lil bit of water in due to the snow atm)

droid

Unless you're just going to Garland's and back, you're going to get a bit damp in Giant's.  ;)

Fulk

Well, each to their own, but personally I find that wetsuit socks make my feet go all soft and 'manky', so, unless I'm doing something like Swinsto where I expect to be quite wet for the duration of the trip, I tend to wear woollen socks.

Pete K

kieronyoung said:
kay said:
Which cave will you be doing?

Giants Hole - Castleton

or

Peak cavern
If you are doing the tour at Peak then you'll need nothing. If you're going down with the TSG club on a weekend expect to get wet - like up to your waist wet - on the way in. The only other way you can get access is to hire one of the few instructors who can go down there.
Both caves respond to wet weather - especially snow melt and heavy rainfall, like we are forecast this week!

Pete K

Cap'n Chris said:
Is BCA membership still a pre-requisite for trips into Peak?
A visit through TSG club as guest or member or having your own PL insurance on file with them as instructor and being 'approved' are the conditions I believe.

robjones

kieronyoung said:
itll probs be giants hole.

Great cave; my sons had some of their early trips down Giant's: my elder son got as far as the top of Geology Pot when he was 10.

The water will be a tad cool at the moment!

If you're only going as far as the top of Garlands Pitch then wellies and woolly socks will be fine. If you're going beyond the pitch then do your best to borrow or hire an oversuit (which will throw the worst of the water off you) as it'll be wet in places - but great fun.