Next step caves?

BJJ Biker

Hi Guys,

We live in Kent and I'm looking for a cave/s, probably in the southwest, that I can take my son down in the first weekend of October.

I'd not call myself a caver, although I've done it about thirty times, mostly in Yorkshire.  I'd say the most challenging caving I've done was leading 4 other people into and out of Gapping Gill via Bar Pot.  My son is 15 and I've recently taken him to do the Long Churns and Calf Hole.  He loved it.

We have a free weekend coming up and when I asked him what he would like to do, he said caving.  Ideally what I would like to do is find caves nearest to Kent (hence suggesting the southwest).  I'd also like the caves to be long and if those caves also included a bit of SRT and maybe a short sump that would be great.  I know I'm asking a lot and I know what I'm after might not exist, but I would love to hear your suggestions.

I'm after stepping up my son's experience without putting him off.

Cheers, Cass.

bograt

BJJ Biker said:
Hi Guys,

We live in Kent and I'm looking for a cave/s, probably in the southwest, that I can take my son down in the first weekend of October.

I'd not call myself a caver, although I've done it about thirty times, mostly in Yorkshire.  I'd say the most challenging caving I've done was leading 4 other people into and out of Gapping Gill via Bar Pot.  My son is 15 and I've recently taken him to do the Long Churns and Calf Hole.  He loved it.

We have a free weekend coming up and when I asked him what he would like to do, he said caving.  Ideally what I would like to do is find caves nearest to Kent (hence suggesting the southwest).  I'd also like the caves to be long and if those caves also included a bit of SRT and maybe a short sump that would be great.  I know I'm asking a lot and I know what I'm after might not exist, but I would love to hear your suggestions.

I'm after stepping up my son's experience without putting him off.

Cheers, Cass.

Kent is hardly in the South West, but if you are thinking of travelling to Somerset; SRT, Short Sump, easy access, can't beat Swildons Hole. (y) a bit of research will give you an excellent round trip :)

BJJ Biker

Hi Bograt,

Although the SW might not be near Kent, it's nearer than Yorkshire.  170 miles Vs 300 miles.  I'll research Swildon's and I'll come back with my plan and questions.  Thanks for your time and effort.

Cheers.

BJJ Biker

Hi Guys,
This is really a public thank you to Oceanrower and the Wessex Caving Club.  On Saturday my son and I met Oceanrower at the Wessex Hut and were made to feel most welcome before kitting up and heading off to Swildon's.  Oceanrower was very generous in letting us borrow equipment that we would have had to rent otherwise.
As you can imagine, Swildon's was busy this early after the start of the university term, but it's a fantastic cave.  I still don't think I would be able to find my way around the first bit, and I was really glad Oceanrower was there to guide the way.  The ladder was busy, but once past that, we pretty much had the cave to ourselves.  The key difference I felt with Swildon's compared with the North Yorkshire caves I've been in, is the shape of the space, very narrow and tall rifts, rather than 'tunnels' (I imagine there are technical terms here I should use).
We got down to sump 1 and with a surprising amount of nerves on my behalf, went through it.  We then travelled on to sump 2 before retracing our steps out.  Three hours. 
We were both knackered after having a fantastic time and pleased with ourselves that we had done a sump.  We got changed and had tea and biscuits back at the Wessex Hut, again, made to feel very welcome.  The following day when we told my wife and in-laws what the cave was like, they got a bit upset that I'd allowed my son to do something like that.  I played through the arguments in my head and thought better of saying anything. 
My son, like I, had a fantastic time, really felt like we learnt a lot and looking forward to our next trip underground.
I might of said this before, but the friendliness and time the caving community has for new people is humbling.  You really are a great bunch of people.

menacer

What a lovely post. Youll have to go back to the wessex again and also consider hidden earth next year, on mendip, Oceanrower runs the speleo olympics course , which is great fun  (y)

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Hi BJJ Biker, loved your 'thank you' post.  Well done to Oceanrower and The Wessex for encouraging and helping people, especially a youngster, new to our sport.  Great to read such a positive post.

Oceanrower

Thanks for your post. It is always great to hear something positive when someone has enjoyed it.

I hope you didn't get into too much trouble with Mrs. BJJ!  :spank:

Hopefully you and your son will come back for another go. Got the perfect cave in mind.  (y)

Glad you enjoyed yourself BJJ Biker  ;)
The Wessex are a good Bunch (only slightly biased! ::) ......To be honest, you will find very similar throughout the caving community.

Glad you both enjoyed Swildon's ...... (y)

Tim