Advice for newbie?

I

i12batree

Hi,

i live in london ( but i have a car :p ) and always wanted to give this a go, whats the best way to go about getting started? anyone reccommend a club that wouldnt mind taking out a reletively clueless beginner?

W

wormster

Have a read here:

http://www.trycaving.co.uk/

closest caving club for you is:

http://www.chelseaspelaeo.org.uk/

hope this helps.

paul

wormster said:
Have a read here:

http://www.trycaving.co.uk/

closest caving club for you is:

http://www.chelseaspelaeo.org.uk/

hope this helps.

There's also the WSG.

As Wormster says: it would be best to join a caving club as they will have trips arranged to caves and usually are willing to take beginners on suitable trips, will supply some training and often have gear to lend beginners to begin with.

D

Dep

Or try WCMS http://www.wcms.org.uk/
Based in north Surrey, active locally, Mendip and South Wales.
Welcomes people of all abilities.

T

theFerret

As training officer for the YSS i would like to point you in the direction of our club in Helwith Bridge. Website: www.yssuk.com You will be welcomed to the best hut in the dales (no arguments please haha) and taken on trips by one of the clubs two caving instructors.

Les W

While we are on a sales pitch I feel duty bound to point you in the direction of the Wessex Cave Club

Based in the Mendip Hills in Somerset (your nearest caving region) we welcome novices.
You are assured of a warm welcome at our club headquarters and will be invited to join novice trips with some of our highly competent long standing members. We can lend you kit until you decide caving is definitly for you and you begin to aquire your own.

We are active throughout the UK and Abroard and have members all around the country. There will be some near you.
Give us a call (contact details on the web site).

D

darkplaces

Joining in on the sales pitch....

Join www.c**tplaces.co.uk and find someone local to you and not so local for weekends away, c**tplaces is not organized in a club way but its a lot of very like minded and friendly people into not only caves but Drains, mines and bunkers etc. London is PRIME drain country so you might be tempted in London to get your underground fix in the storm drains and covered rivers. BEWARE talk to our experienced drainers first, c**tplaces has its own Drain section.

http://www.c**tplaces.co.uk 

anfieldman

I too would recommend Darkplaces. It is a fantastic club!
They will make sure you go underground with the correct gear and correct permits, documentation, etc and they are a serious, responsible club.
;)

D

darkplaces

anfieldman said:
I too would recommend Darkplaces. It is a fantastic club!
They will make sure you go underground with the correct gear and correct permits, documentation, etc and they are a serious, responsible club.
;)
Cheers for the promotion  (y)

Seriously newbie I also recommend doing some reading. Andy Sparrows The Complete Caving Manual
Has lots of info for your level and above, from the formation of caves, life in caves, equipment to rope access.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Caving-Manual-Andy-Sparrow/dp/1861260229/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199365925&sr=1-1

Like I said dont just think about caves when thinking of the underground, as DP shows many aspects of underground exist all slightly different. All very stunning and rewarding. Have a go but use some common sense and explore with others.

martinr

anfieldman said:
cap 'n chris said:
er, sarcasm is the word that leaps to mind.

(y)

No. it wasnt meant to be sarcastic. I was just wondering if the setup of Darkplaces had changed, or if it is still a non-club as stated on its website? The fact that Darkplaces isnt meant to be a club was, to me, its "unique selling point". I'm not trying to start an argument - if it is just another club, thats fine by me.

To quote DP himself "c**tplaces is not organized in a club way "

Malcolm Cotter always maintained that MCG was "not a club" and always insisted we used Group, not Club. But I think Darkplaces is more "non-club" than MendipCavingGroup

paul

Wessex? YSS? I thought "i12batree" was looking for a London-based Club?

There's no problem joining a Club based in another part of the country (such as Orpheus Caving Club :) ) especially if they have accomodation but it is probably easier to join in with some cavers who live locally simply because it is easier to plan trips, travel to other areas from a common starting point and share lifts, ropes and other equipment, etc.

I would suggest joining a London-based Club (I did back in the 80's when I lived in London) and maybe join other Club(s) if you wish later on.

On another topic, Darkplaces may not be a "club" but they do some good work in a conservation point of view - so they're not all bad! :)

anfieldman

martinr said:
anfieldman said:
cap 'n chris said:
er, sarcasm is the word that leaps to mind.

(y)

No. it wasnt meant to be sarcastic. I was just wondering if the setup of Darkplaces had changed, or if it is still a non-club as stated on its website? The fact that Darkplaces isnt meant to be a club was, to me, its "unique selling point". I'm not trying to start an argument - if it is just another club, thats fine by me.

To quote DP himself "c**tplaces is not organized in a club way "

Malcolm Cotter always maintained that MCG was "not a club" and always insisted we used Group, not Club. But I think Darkplaces is more "non-club" than MendipCavingGroup

o_O

Sorry Martin. I was the one being sarcastic. I'm surprised the rodent didn't bite on this one. As far as I'm aware DP is still not a 'club', does not advocate people having the correct gear, does not recognise permits, documentation,etc and is quite happily a semi-serious 'responsible' rabble.  ;)
Seriously, they have done some great work repairing mines and should be applauded but only a few people got my joke..........................Nothing unusual there then. ;)

D

darkplaces

Hey, I was happy enough to let the 'club' sarcastic comment slide, as a joke I was happy with that.

However... I'm sorry if I mis read this but I am not happy with a few points.

Darkplaces DOES advocate the correct gear, however adults are left to make a personal choice.
Darkplaces DOES recognize permits such as the CCC type which are easy to get hold off with little 'hoop jumping'.
Documentation??? - Insurance should not be used as a tool to withhold access.
"a semi-serious 'responsible' rabble." - with many hardcore club caver's as members!
I'd say Darkplaces is just a forum, but with focus and a lot of people who have taken it to their hearts!
So thanks for the 'nice' comments, always welcome but don't beleave everything you read or hear about c**tplaces, many people don't like the new technologies or ways of doing things and go out of their way to dismiss it and spread nasty rumors (thats our job).

Anyway, sorry this topic is now off topic and I think I made a valid point about checking DP out for the newbie.
Thank you for your time.

M

madrab

I have been on a few trips with DP and safety gear is recommended and it is frowned upon going under ground with a cheapo headlight bought from the local garage. they are a good bunch

L

Londoncaver

Croydon Caving Club is a nice friendly club with a hut in Wales. We're always delighted to take new people caving (we'll arrange lifts etc).

We meet at The Plough and Harrow pub in Hammersmith on the 1st Thursday of every month. Next pub meet is on 6 March.

We're based in Greater London (sort of mostly within the M25), but have members from right across the UK, especially from the M4 corridor. Basic details on our temporary club website (we are getting a better site soon, promise).

PM me, mail me from the address on the front of the temp site (I'm newmembers) or post on our very new club board here (http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php/board,55.0.html).

Cheers

Nick

Kempseyman

Hi newbie
I will second Nick's nomination for the friendly Croydon Caving Club.  You don't need to reside in Croydon, indeed many of our members are all points of the compass across UK.  - We do have an excellent (and cheap) Cottage in a South Wales caving area with a pub less than a minute walk away.  New members welcome. :halo:
Steve M