any ideas ? grade II caves , not so flood prone, novice type?

caveMonkey

Hello all! any ideas most appreciated. Want to do some caving this week , however, forecast looked bad , rain , etc :( I would like to do a grade II cave perhaps , not flood prone if possible, even though it might rain! any ideas? maybe in derbyshire area ? i heard of jug hole for example. not sure how that fares with rain. thank you all ! x

caveMonkey

Hey paul, thanks for reply . I just kept reading further, would it need any tackle? are any of the pitches free-climb ? i'm not planning to take ladders, SRT , etc

ianball11

I seem to remember Devonshire Cavern is a good trip with the good sights of mining works in a natural cave.

caveMonkey

thanks! I was just reading about brightgate cave...would that be liable to flood? doesnt seem to have any warnings registered in "caves of peak district" book...

paul

caveMonkey said:
Hey paul, thanks for reply . I just kept reading further, would it need any tackle? are any of the pitches free-climb ? i'm not planning to take ladders, SRT , etc

If you go in via the Adit entrance no tackle required. You can do a through trip to the large main entrance which involves a straight-forward climb and some people equip this with a handline.

There is a climb down to the Lower Series from the main entrance chamber which is safeguarded with a short handline.

paul

caveMonkey said:
thanks! I was just reading about brightgate cave...would that be liable to flood? doesnt seem to have any warnings registered in "caves of peak district" book...

No problems there either. If you are referring to "Caves of the Peak District" than you can be sure that if there is no mention of problems with flooding then you'll be OK. Probably the only cave you may be considering which is weather dependant is P8 and maybe Giants Hole in very heavy rain.

zomjon

Don't expect a handline to be in place on the climb down to upper or lower series in Jughole - there wasn't last time I was there, but both climbs are fine, but take your own short handline if in doubt.

owd git

Clatterway levels, are 'damper' after rain, tho still an enjoyable interlude before 'the Barley'!! (y)
Top way in a hand line is advisable  but can easily be 'free climbed'.
I owe a couple who live above the entrance a trip through. you have  P. M.
Gis a bell You may want knee pads.! :LOL:
O. G.