Novice Caving

muddy686

Can anyone advise me on some good grade 1 and 2 horizontal caves suitable for complete novices around the Derby Dales or the Mendips?

I've been asked to take a group of 4-6 lads who've never been caving so looking at introducing them to some interesting, varied systems!  No ladder or SRT work please, but handlines are OK.

Any help on this would great!

Inskia

There's been loads of information on this topic posted on this forum over the years, just have a furtle around for "novice caves" etc and you should come up with a good handful of ideas to get you started. Access agreements to some caves /mines specifically exclude novices so do check in advance to avoid disappointment.
Have fun & stay safe.
Inskia

Fulk

At the risk of my being shot down in flames for being an arrogant twat, would it be appropriate to suggest that, if you can't choose for yourself what might be suitable, you aren't yet ready to take novices caving?

bograt

I ain't goin to shoot down Fulk (yet), if you PM me what you are wanting, I will let you know what I did with groups like this in Derbyshire in the 70's, (thats if you want to know!)

muddy686

Fulk this is a forum.  It is a place for asking questions and airing opinions with like minded people.  I COULD do hours of research, trawl the internet and find the caves I'm interested in, OR I could come to the UK forum and ASK.  People on here have more experience and knowledge of the areas so I've ASKED. 
If you wanted info on some caves in North Yorkshire or Germany then I would gladly point you in the right direction.

Plus if you read the post I specified what might be suitable namely grade 1 or 2, no SRT or ladders.

owd git

At risk of also being shot down: why restrct yourself to caves? there are a wealth of mine/cum cave in the peak district.
:confused:
O. G.

muddy686

thats ok Fulk  :)
O.G. thats a good point, I'd not thought of mines!  (except Poldark in Cornwall but thats a museum, and even I consider a train cheating).  :-\