Newbie in the Mendips

Gerbil007

I had my first proper trip last Monday, down Swildons with a few guys from the MCG. I've just popped a trip report on here actually, then thought it might be a good idea to introduce myself properly!

I'm a 27 year old RAF lad living in Chippenham who's rediscovered a love for the underground. Apart from caving, I like my fishing, play loads of squash and ride motorbikes.

I'd tried caving on a school holiday many years ago and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, I never had the oppurtunity to go again until recently, when a friend of my fiancee's offered to show me the stone quarries near Monkton Farleigh. This re-ignited the spark and so we went and had a little wander in the entrance series of Swildons with borrowed/bodged kit! This was enough to spur me into a buying frenzy and I was soon the proud owner of an oversuit, Speleo headlight and helmet.

After last monday's trip down Swildons, through sump one and back, I'm mad keen to discover more. The guys from the Mendip Caving Group who took me on my first proper trip have really got me fired up and I'll be applying to join soon. If anyone is up to anything in the area who doesn't mind a newbie tagging along, I'll gladly buy you a pint in the Hunter's in return!

Kev Speight

miketa

Great stuff and look forward to seeing you. MCG Rocks.

Mike
MCG Hon. Sec.
Unbiased opinions a speciality.