big cavers!

B

big

Hi,

I am new to caving, but am a little concerned that I am a little too large to really get through some of the caves!  I'm 6 ft three , not overweight but a good 14.5 stones muscular build.  I am really interested in having a go, and have found that I can easily squeeze through a ten inch high gap.  Will my size be a great disadvantage, and I don't wanna get stuck!!

Cheers,

A big un

damian

You genuinely have nothing at all to worry about. Some of the country's hardest cavers are over 6ft and have no real issues. In any case, if you can squeeze through a 10 inch gap, you can fit through things the majority of cavers probably can't. The most important thing to remember about caving is that there are actually very few tight bits in most caves and those that are tight, most people never go near (because they're hard work!)

So nothing at all to worry about. Just go and give it a try!

B

big

thanks Damian, thats put my mind at ease.  Got my first trip coming up, possibly swildons.  I saw a couple of the caves near Llangattock when out walking, and got an overwhelming urge to get into them...but realised it'd be better to hold myself back and join some people who know what they are doing!

Thanks for the response.

SamT

You'll be fine, I know plenty of "over long" cavers. Length isn't an issue in 99% of caves. Its girth, and in particular your chest size. Bellys are soft and can be moulded and tucked away. Rib cages are somewhat more inflexible. If you can fit though a 10" gap - you'll be fine in exploring 99% of the caves in the UK. (Actually - I just made that percentage up, but suffice to 'most' popular caves in the UK.

Enjoy, and mind your head  (y)

cap n chris

Hi Mr. Big!

Welcome to the forum!

I used to weigh quite a lot more than you (although I'm not 6'3") and managed a fair amount of caving - only the stupid small stuff will be unavailable to you but there's masses more you can still do! Yes, size is relevant, but it's not the be-all-and-end-all for quality sporting trips!

Enjoy. :)

j4nny

Two words - Big Jim  (y)

I could being a bit taller for some of the climbs, I use slightly taller cavers as ladders - more the merrier! 

Elaine

14.5 stone is nothing!!!

Plenty you can enjoy without touching the edges!

Which area are you from?

Big Jim

One word of advice (from someone 6'5" and 14 st) - dont listen to cavers who have been extras in the Wizard of Oz (like SamT) who have no idea what tight is! You will start to get hacked off with your mates who always seem to be walking when you are crawling or laid flat out when others are crawling cos your femurs are too long but thats life.  You'll get your own back when it comes to rigging - reaching high up bolts (like in Titan) or clipping in deviations that stumpy folk cant reach and soem climbs are easier, but thrutching up narrow rifts can be harder with gangly legs.  Its swings n roundabout!

Big Jim

Gerbil007

I'm 6' and close on 16 stone. I'm very thick accross the chest and have yet to be defeated in a squeeze. If you can stay in control of your muscles and breathing in tight spots, it's remarkable what you can get through. I have managed to get through a 23cm squeeze (Albeit after trying a variety of different positions and breathing RIGHT out, still pushing bone!).
One thing to be aware of is that squeezes can seem easy in one direction, yet nigh on impossible on the return.
I think you'll be absolutely fine.

B

big

I'm from sunny Bristol Elaine. Thanks for all the advice.  Yeah big Jim I tought it'd be a bit of swings and roundabouts because caving is so diverse with tight squeezes and then climbing etc.  Thats what appeals to me, definitely a challenge and having taken part in a few unusual sports and getting on well I have always had a definite slight fear of caves, with the tight enclosed spaces and tons of rock over your head!  Definitely well out of my comfort zone which is what I am after really...something which makes the beer afterwards taste very good knowing what you have done and that you have made it out in one piece!

paul

Of course there are miles and miles of passages whcih don't involve any squeezes at all...

I also suffer the tall caver's plight outlined by Big Jim (I'm 6 foot 4 inches and 14 stone 4 pounds and not metricated in any way!) where I am stooping in the passages where other short a*ses are happily walking, then crawling on all fours when they just begin to stoop, etc.

And yes there are some occasions where we have the advantage when a long reach is required or when with longer legs we can happily traverse along on ledges straddling them easily with our long legs while our vertically-challenged brethren have their feet on one side and hands on the other, almost horizontal with their eyes out on stalks!

gav2pac

You will be fine mate, im 6ft 5 ish and nearly 18 stone (rugby type build)  and i dont have too much problems really, there's only a few places i cant squeeze into really

barrabus

SamT said:
....... you'll be fine in exploring 99% of the caves in the UK. (Actually - I just made that percentage up, but suffice to 'most' popular caves in the UK.

Did you know that 87% of all quoted statistics are made up on the spot.  ;)

j4nny

gav2pac said:
6ft 5 ish and nearly 18 stone (rugby type build)

......nice eye's, brown hair, good teeth, GSOH, likes caving....sorry, mind wondered, though i was on a dating site - all this hight, shape stuff - think it was the menton of a rugby type build  ::)  :halo: