Ultra Vario - any good?

Bump

Hi all,

Thinking of replacing my Custom Duo with the Petzl Ultra Vario or even the Trios!

I'm just wondering if anyone has any opinions  :-[ or first hand experience of this light

Many Thanks

Bumps

Blakethwaite

Have never actually seen the Vario outside of a shop. Not sure why given the ubiquitousness of the Duo but they certainly don't appear to have caught on.

Not enough trendy metal on show perhaps?

Mike Hopley

I was lucky and saw one for ?186 in a sale, so I grabbed it. It's an excellent light. The flood LED is very broad.

The four settings are exactly what I would have chosen:

Setting 1 is a (relatively) dim flood that lasts for 40 hours. This is plenty of light for general caving, especially SRT.

Setting 2 is a luxurious pool of light that lasts for 10 hours. This is bright enough for running through the cave. ;)

Setting 3 is the maximum flood with some spot thrown in. This is your "cor, look at that" setting for lighting up big pitches or chambers.

Setting 4 is a powerful spot.

ah147

Its very bright.

Mine also just completely broke after about 20 caves. I wish someone told me that for approximately the same money (as a full price one) you can get the entry level scurion which is brighter, better built and carries a more comprehensive warranty.

Last time I buy a petzl lamp.

Mike Hopley

ah147 said:
Mine also just completely broke after about 20 caves.

Strange. My previous light was the original Ultra, which lasted for years with no problems -- and that wasn't even sold as a caving lamp. :confused:

Even Scurions fail sometimes. Luck of the draw.

ah147

It was the fact petzl would do nothing that got me. They traced the problem to the O-ring in the light head and still called it wear and tear.

Mike Hopley

ah147 said:
It was the fact petzl would do nothing that got me. They traced the problem to the O-ring in the light head and still called it wear and tear.

Okay, that's just shite. :(

Your lamp is sold for caving. Assuming you've not been diving with it, they have a responsibility to repair / replace / refund.

ah147

It went in 17 caves. A few dips, a fair few knocks (its a caving lamp!), a great big crack appeared across the top of the light head (where the two parts join together) and water got in. I sent it to petzl who called it wear and tear, if its normal wear and tear after 17 caves, none of it particularly hard use, its just ridiculous.

So I bought a scurion.

I've got the petzl to work, allbeit nowhere near as well, the battery drains massively quickly, its not as bright etc etc etc but it works sort of. But it won't turn off once the battery is connected either.

Andy Sparrow

ah147 said:

Not sure if you can blame Petzl - I think you will find that decisions on returns, replacements and refunds are actually made by Lyon, the UK distributor.  To what extent they confer with Petzl I cannot say.

Mike Hopley

An update about this light:

My Ultra Vario failed recently -- apparently due to water getting inside the lamp. However, I contacted Petzl and they (well, Lyon actually) asked me to send it back to them (which I did).

Petzl have just emailed me saying they are sending a replacement. I thought the lamp would be out of warranty as it's over three years old, but they are calling this a "replacement under warranty". I think this is rather good customer service.

markpot

Great that Lyon  and petzl sorted you out,they are great with there customers,never let me down.i find its a "choice of tool for the job"senario.i have multiple lamps being a abit of a geek/home lamp builder and have used different lamps inc duos ,elsplios,home builds,fenix,scurion,fellows in different  environments. Personally,if u want a decent do it all,contact Roy fellows or el speleo,cheep for a big hitter,,otherwise think of the environment your taking the lamp into and buy what suits your budget.talk to roy or mike on the other chanel they are a mine of knowlege re lamps ect.