Looking for interesting caves in my area..

TheMunky

Hello everyone, I was just wondering If I could get a bit of advice, I have been to a few "rifts" around my area "Uppermill" such as; Fairy holes, Diggle Wiggle pit and I was curious if anybody on here knew of anymore or any "actual" caves that are around here or atleast within a 30minute drive, looking for anything interesting and not too difficult really.

Thanks.

Inferus

Whilst they may be in the Northern Caves book they are closer in distance to the Peak District - so not sure if this thread is best suited to the Dales or Peak for area...? Anyway, very little within 30 minutes beyond what you have already mentioned.

I'm not sure if TheMunky wants to drive a little further than 30 minutes (doesn't sound like it) but within an hour he would have plenty of "actual" caves  in the Castleton area.

Bottlebank

If Saddleworth Moor is now in the Dales perhaps that explains why the press seem to think the Three Counties system extends as far as the M62?

TheMunky

Thanks for replying. :D
Could you give me the names of a few hotspots or actual locations of caves, I'm willing to drive the extra distance, I just wanted to make sure there was none in the local area first.

bograt

No probs, please keep in touch and tell us about your progress, if you become a caver, your experiences to achieve your goal would be of interest to a lot of people here, we can all learn!  (y)

gus horsley

TheMunky said:
Hello everyone, I was just wondering If I could get a bit of advice, I have been to a few "rifts" around my area "Uppermill" such as; Fairy holes, Diggle Wiggle pit and I was curious if anybody on here knew of anymore or any "actual" caves that are around here or atleast within a 30minute drive, looking for anything interesting and not too difficult really.

Thanks.

You're not in a limestone area but there are lots of interesting holes in Hardcastle Crags (Hebden Mill Cave, Tom Bells and numerous other rifts and bouldery holes, but be careful: even small caves such as these can have dangers, such as hidden drops and moving rocks.  Another alternative is to wander around on the local moors with thick peat deposits - I've explored a number of "caves" with peat roofs and walls and cobble floors and streams.  They're all crawling and similar dimensions (rounded), often with several entrances; one was 300ft long with a tiny cascade, but to be honest there's nothing like the real thing.