Training at CHECC forum 2015

Socialrobot

Hi all,

I'm currently organising all the training for the upcoming CHECC forum, and require a few more volunteers! (Thanks to those who have already said they will help, much appreciated).

I have had several students contact me with an interest in mock rescue/first aid underground. I realise that first aid training can be a tricky one with liabilities, etc. However, if someone is willing to talk about making sure people keep warm, good items to include in a first aid kit & best practises, I think it will be very beneficial to the students.

And if anyone is able to help run a mock rescue, that would be amazing. I have yet to hear back from anyone at CRO...

Other training we currently have on offer:
- Survey training (using distoX/PDA, compass/klino, as well Therion drawing).
- Photography
- Basic SRT (for novices and rusty people)
- Advanced SRT/Rigging (for people who are more experienced and want to learn more)

Additionally, if there is anyone who would like to give a short talk on Saturday evening, please give me a shout. We currently have Andrew Hinde coming to give a talk about conservation, but other topics would be most welcome (lots of students are keen to hear more about expeditions)!.

Thanks, Stuart
(stuartalldred at gmail.com)

Socialrobot

UPDATE: CRO have been in touch! :)

Thought it worth updating this post, so it didn't look like they had refused to contact me. Just a case of lost emails.

Diglett

I'm really pleased that we have got CRO on board. Many student cavers are potential cave rescue volunteers in a couple of years' time.

MeshK

Thought it should be known that the training and talks at this year's forum were a huge success, as I'm sure Stu will elaborate on.

Can't thank all of the volunteers enough for volunteering their time and expertise to help support student caving and their future caving careers!

2xw

Yer, I'm sending them an email but it's probably worth publically thanking the CRO - went on their training day and they were very informative (and made you think a bit about 1st aid and rescue) and it was really interesting not only to have a look at all the kit but do some stretcher carries and hauling too.

Was well worth going and I'm sure everybody there would echo my sentiments.

ww

Socialrobot

Trainers & talkers were amazing! I believe everyone had a really good time and learnt lots.

I'll be writing up a proper post later this evening, as well as sending out thank you emails. Just having a very busy day at work! :)