UCET - Extreme Underground Train Making in the Milwr.

Dave Tyson

Absolutely brilliant! Better paint job than the GCC one  ::)

Do you have somewhere dry to stow it when the winter rains come?

Dave

cavemanmike

Dave Tyson said:
Absolutely brilliant! Better paint job than the GCC one  ::)

Do you have somewhere dry to stow it when the winter rains come?

Dave

ye dave.
rhyd alyn end does'nt go over the rails so it's fine up that end, but saying that doug did manage to drown it last year when it fell into the grip so it needs a small repair job which is getting sorted

Ian Adams

Really awesome video and a tribute to just what teamwork can achieve (seen in so many other clubs too)

:)

Ian

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
cavemanmike said:
i wonder if this qualifies for the makita trip report  thread

I don't see why not - we're after 'reports of interest to forum members' - so get entering!

PS haven't watched it yet but will, promise  :)

Les W

A fabulous video, well filmed and edited.  (y)
I already knew how much work it was but seeing it all together in the video I can only say well done to all concerned. :beer:

todcaver

Great effort , funny thing is I've been asking GCC for a look down the tunnels for 2 years now , always get the same reply ! Too wet down there for anything ! Even train rides !   
Once again great effort to all envolved with the train but what hoops did you jump through to even get in there ? ?
First hand evidence of elitism / ownership / control freaks ?
People wonder why the crow argument and locking up of mines for all but a select few causes arguments and great concern !
I take it now this train is in place everyone can go down and have a look  :confused:

Ship-badger

I was thinking pretty much the same thing todcaver. The "official" line for a number of years now has been "no access".

Wayland Smith

I presume that people have been contacting (or trying to contact) the group that operated Olwy Goch shaft.

I wonder if we will get an underground barrier built at the border of territories? o_O
Perhaps it will get like the mining wars in WW1. :eek:

Only joking, (I hope!) :clap:

Dave Tyson

Just as well it's a single track line in the Milwr otherwise I could foresee a jousting contest  :eek:

its also handy that both trains go in reverse as there aren't many passing places...

Dave

Wayland Smith

Dave Tyson said:
Just as well it's a single track line in the Milwr otherwise I could foresee a jousting contest  :eek:
its also handy that both trains go in reverse as there aren't many passing places...
Dave
I hope they have signals and a safe working practice for single track in place!  :LOL:
Underground road rage anybody?  :tease:

bograt

Good video and superb effort.
I do note, however, that it appears to be a petrol engine, I wonder how the ignition will fare in the damp conditions?? also there is the problem of exhaust fumes?--

Alex

Fantastic video, I feel like signing up to be one of your workers :)

May I ask one question though, why lol?

rhychydwr1

Brilliant video.  I think I will rename it "Boys and their toys"  :eek:

Just one think that worried me.  The two cavers at the top of the 45 ft shaft were not belayed. 

Thought I'd answer a few outstanding questions which have been raised above, but not addressed:

Todcaver / Ship Badger:  Try one of the other caving clubs in North Wales, I did and subsequently got a trip down there within a month or two of contacting them.

Bograt:  It's a 2 cylinder Kubota Diesel engine so compression ignition rather than electronic ignition.  It also has a decompressor to enable higher cranking speed for starting.  The Milwr system is that vast that fumes aren't a problem in the section of the tunnel the train is used.

Alex:  More the merrier, I'm sure if you contact the OP they'll give you some details.  To answer your question why, have you ever walked for several miles upstream in a fast flowing river?  It's a right pain in the groin!  :yucky:

bograt

notdavidgilmour said:
Bograt:  It's a 2 cylinder Kubota Diesel engine so compression ignition rather than electronic ignition.  It also has a decompressor to enable higher cranking speed for starting.  The Milwr system is that vast that fumes aren't a problem in the section of the tunnel the train is used.

Sorry, I thought I spotted some HT leads, my mistake  :bow:

jaswa

Yes its a diesel.

There are some electrics on it though. Glow Plugs and electric starter motor, lights and ability to run a small (for occasional and very light use) 240v inverter. Driven off an alternator taken off my old Landrover Defender - which hasn't enjoyed the environment down there over the winter and probably needs replacing next time used.

The gearbox is from a 2CV with a welded up diff. 1st and reverse gears only. Clutch is centrifugal with belt drive to gearbox.

:)