'A Spider's thread of shining silver' by J.M. Boon

andychapm

Just to tell people that there will be a few of the Mike Boon compilation 'A Spider's Thread of Shining Silver' to be sold at Eurospeleo (at both the RRCPC stall and the Starless River shop).

Stock is going very quickly though so hurry. Also, if you have pre-ordered, you need to get in contact fast to pick them up at Eurospeleo :)

Books will be ?30 each, for not only 'Down to a Sunless Sea' and 'Great San Agustin Rescue', but also writing on Castleguard, Escondida, Daren Cilau and also featuring writing by Dave Cobley, Dave Brook, Clive Gardener, Bill Steele and many more. Bearing in mind, second hand copies of 'Down to a Sunless Sea' are going for upwards of ?70, can you afford to miss out??

PS: Can anyone tell me where the name comes from yet??

Duncan Price

andychapm said:
PS: Can anyone tell me where the name comes from yet??

Page 161, last sentence of final paragraph. "Into the blackness and spray the ladder hung, a spider's thread of shining silk."

Haven't put it down since I got home from work (where you kindly posted it for me).  The section on Daren Cilau was particularly interesting as I did the through trip from Ogof Cnwc to Daren only yesterday in the company of a friend over for EuroSpeleo from Germany with his family.  All of the did the trip including his son (16 yrs) and daughter (14 yrs) both of whom laughed and giggled all of the way of the entrance series of Daren Cilau.  I was thinking of Boon and Davies' breakthrough on my way out until I was brought back to earth by Lena (14) saying in perfect English "My parents told me this was a holiday!"

andychapm

Good effort on finding the title :). Think Boon also got it from an ancient Buddhist text.
Glad you're enjoying the book too, I particularly like the Escondida chapter, exploring a river cave in kayaks, amazing story and brilliant exploration by a legendary caver :)