Daren Cilau & Rain question...

matthewjc

Hello, planning an overnight trip Thursday/ Friday to get down to the Restaraunt and as far beyond as we can get.... But its been quite wet up here in the north.... Anyone with local knowledge advise if its worth coming down / what are the chances of it being sumped.... ? Cheers Matt

Minion

I'm not 100% sure on the sumping situation in DC but the rain hasn't been too bad today and the only heavy rain forecast for the area is early hours tomorrow morning.

Entrance will be horrible and wet but I'd guess the rest will be ok. The other systems on the escarpment have flood pulses between 8 and 13 hours after a decent rain fall, so I'd have to assume DC would be the same.  :confused:

John S

I would work on a shorter flood pulse time, more like 4 - 6 hours if my memory is correct, unless minion has better personal experience ?

See CSS Records,  Llangattwg Mountain Vol 19, for a first hand account of a flood and timings in Agen Allwedd. Daren Cilau has a similar reaction time.

mudman

John S said:
I would work on a shorter flood pulse time, more like 4 - 6 hours if my memory is correct, unless minion has better personal experience ?

See CSS Records,  Llangattwg Mountain Vol 19, for a first hand account of a flood and timings in Agen Allwedd. Daren Cilau has a similar reaction time.

I don't have access to the CSS records but the flood pulse time is interesting. Jeff Hill told me many moons ago that OCAF will see a flood pulse come through approximately 10 hours after rain with a secondary pulse some time after that (I forget if he mentioned a timescale for the secondary).

Minion

John S said:

I don't have personal experience of being sumped, I thought that was clear from my guesstimates in the first comment?  ;)

Volume 19, that's the Llangattock Journal? Are they any more recent updates to it? I received my copy last week. Makes for an interesting read.

alastairgott

Out of interest, wheres the western streamway in Daren Cilau?

I've been reading the excellent llangattock exploration journal and at the back it says that a dye trace from the western steamway produced no positive results.

matthewjc

Hi all, apologies for the delayed reply - many thanks for the info. As it was we only had the Friday available so with less time just had (a very good) trip to the Time Machine and out. Very impressed with the new ladders. Back soon with more time..