Edward's Shortcut Traverse (OFD)

CatM

NB. A genuine question, not a criticism...

I noticed on last week's episode of The Dudley, Caving and Cakes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIjbU0aYGis), that prior to Chunky's near disasterous fall (thank goodness for the cakes!), he was tackling the traverse in Edward's Shortcut. He was doing so by putting feet on one side and hands on the other, at the top of the flowstone/curtains/whatever you want to call it. I have seen many others use this method too, but have always assumed that the tape (seen at the bottom left of the screen) is meant to be there to prevent people touching the calcite; as such, I always go for the method of traversing as far as possible at a lower level, then awkwardly crawling along the muddy ledge on the right for the last little bit, and encourage others in the group to do the same.

So, my question, which I have often wondered: Is it considered "acceptable" to go for the former (easier) method, and if so, why is the tape there?  :-\

mrodoc

Good question!  When I first did this traverse it was with someone very familiar the cave and we all gaily followed him with feet onside and arms against the opposite wall. Next time with a less confident party there was an 'Ooer missus' moment and we all crawled awkwardly across the ledge. I had never thought about the conservation aspects more the safety aspect and I think that depends on ones confidence.

rsch

"acceptable" is an interesting - and suitably flexible - term to use.

It is possible for the taller caver's hands to be very high on the calcited wall, far up the stal, likewise a less reachy or confident caver can use the muddier walls of the floor trench in the first part of the traverse, so my strong suspicion would be that the tape is there to discourage dirty hands all over the lower\middle level of the stal, in particular, where there is the greatest opportunity to do so.

But it is a very good question.

andrewmcleod

I was thinking the same thing. It can't be OK to cross conservation tape - if you spend all your time telling people not to cross conservation tape then have to add 'except in situation X/Y/Z' then you muddy the whole issue (unintentional pun!). If it is OK to put hands across the top then there should be a second line of tape. Conservation tape isn't something you want cavers exercising their judgement about whether it is OK to cross or not - it should be absolute (and absolute for everyone except where it is necessary e.g. conservation, surveying). Judgement should be reserved for what it is/is not OK to touch in parts that are not taped off!

chunky

Ooh it is a very good question. I have never seen anyone cross the traverses any other way and so the issue had never occurred to me!
Stay low at the begining and high for the wide part of the traverse. I will certainly be finding out who taped the 2nd section and what their intention with regard to the conservation is.
My thoughts are the tape is there to protect the lower section of the wall but I will certainly be checking.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

CatM

chunky said:
I will certainly be finding out who taped the 2nd section and what their intention with regard to the conservation is.
My thoughts are the tape is there to protect the lower section of the wall but I will certainly be checking.

Please let us know what you discover  :)