Mouldridge Mine door

Jenny P

Just reported to DCA:

The wooden frame supporting the door at Mouldridge has rotted through and collapsed today

Be very careful when you open it as it drops.

Urgent repairs will be in hand.

Jenny Potts,
DCA Hon. Sec.

owd git

Adam I have some h/duty angle available call or post lengths required i can trim it ready if you want, Ric'. (y)

Pete K

Currently I'm really busy but if you get a date for some work here let me know and I'll get there if I can.

AR

OK, I've managed to get out for a quick look and measure up this afternoon. The right-hand post has come away due to rot at its base and its fixings having given up the ghost, but it's been wedged and can be opened/closed with care. I've also noticed that the bar the gate hangs from is badly corroded where it goes into the posts. The lintel is sound and the posts aren't attached to it so I think it's fine to leave as is and just replace the uprights.

I've got 2m of 100x50mm box section in my garage that will do the job for uprights and I'll see if I've got a suitably long length of 10 or 12mm round bar to replace the rusted one. I've got some bolt resin that I think is still OK but heavy duty angle would be useful for top/bottom support (what section size is it, Ric?) and loan of the DCA cordless grinder may be useful; my 24v Hitachi should be fine for drilling fix points as long as I remember to charge the battery. :-[

Thank you everyone who's offered help so far, I'll post up here to sort out a date once I've got the replacements prepared. I'll also see if I can find the spare gas strut I've got somewhere and see about fitting that to the gate to ease opening and closing.

AR

Photo taken yesterday, showing the troublesome right-hand upright:

Attachments

• mouldridge.jpg
    mouldridge.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 171

Pete K

AR, we have 6m of 12mm rebar for the Lathkill job. It's over by the shaft but you could lop a bit off for Mouldridge if you need it.
Email Bob Dearman if you need resin, he usually has some out of date stuff that can't be used for BP anchors but would be just fine for the frame.

AR

Thanks Pete, I've been over this afternoon and got some off the longer piece, so there are now two 2.5m lengths on site. I've also cut the steelwork this afternoon and will do the necessary welding/drilling in the next few days.

AR

OK, I'm finally in a position to install the new frame and I'm intending to do this on Thursday morning. I'm also intending to repaint the gate once everything's done, it should dry pretty quickly in the present weather but please can I ask people to not go in on Thursday?

AR

After much swearing and cursing, the new frame is in place and the gate has had a coat of hammerite. Unfortunately I managed to drop the gate while moving it and cracked the PDMHS sign  :mad: so I've brought it home to braze back together, it'll be returning shortly. I'll also be fitting a gas strut to the gate when I can find the one I put on one side for doing this....

Attachments

• mouldridge.jpg
    mouldridge.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 150