Giants Hole - St. Valentines sump information

tras2

Hi all,

Has anyone done the Giants Hole 'Figure of 8' trip in the past 6 months? 

I'm wondering what the state of St. Valentines sump is (i.e. is the pump & syphon system mentioned in http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=13264.0 still operational) and if the in-situ ropes for Geology /Spout & Filthy Five are still there

It's been just over a year since I was last in Giants and I've never done the figure of 8 route.  I'm hoping to go this weekend so any recent knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stuart

zomjon

I think it is non operational at present. There was a recent post from Rob about the state of it and that it would need quite a bit of attention to get it up and running again.

SamT

Yeah - I was involved in trying to get it sorted and the current system doesn't work.

You cant bail it either since the drain hole by the little dam wall just backs up so must be choked up these days.

I got it up and running - but it needs a bigger bore pipe dragging through to the far side, and a different pump attaching that it big enough to get the siphon started though the bigger bore pipe.
(otherwise it just takes too long to drain).

The problem is, that the sucking end of the pipe needs to be down at the deepest bit of the sump - which is just in the little bell right before it sumps proper i.e. about 4m  in beyond the little dam wall.

I think the solution is to have a single length of ~30mm or 40mm internal bore pipe running from that bell, through the sump and down the first pitch on the far side.  Probably in the region of ~25m in length.

Then a decent bore pump capable of shifting enough water to get it started also down in that deep bit.  One person will have to volunteer to get a bit wet (if you're small enough, you can avoid getting your chest wet) and wade in to start the siphon going. 

I have most of the bits to fashion a simple pump based on a earby style thing (4" pipe and drain rod with no return valves) which would do the job - just not got round to fabricating it yet.

tras2

Thanks for the replies.

We're going to give Giant's Figure-8 a miss this time.  The reports of "waiting for the sump to drain" & the muddiness of the Filthy Five have put everyone else off :(  Hopefully by the time we next visit the "SamT sump pump' will be ready to go  :)

Nettle Pot looks to be the new preferred option.....for some unknown reason! From http://www.tsgcaving.co.uk/content/Trip-Reports/nettle-pot-angus-sawyer:-
Reaching between Tom's legs, my hand squashed by the roof against his groin, I grasped something hard! His belt buckle, jammed against the rock. With the buckle rotated, not without some difficulty, Tom was free and quickly through, leaving me to struggle through, controlled breathing being essential.

I think we'll have some 'fun', considering at 6' with a 34" waist, I'll be the smallest in our group!

alastairgott

tras2 said:
I think we'll have some 'fun', considering at 6' with a 34" waist, I'll be the smallest in our group!

You might well be right!
At 32" w, I need to take my SRT kit off to get through. I remember the second time I went through (about 6 months ago) being easier than my first (4-5 years ago).
It's a horizontal bedding squeeze (helmet off is easier) which As far as I recall has a slightly wider section on the right.
Our Russian Man Oleg got through with some perseverance.

but still, the far flats are good fun to go through.

Tangent_tracker

You have an issue with the mud and so you're doing Nettle?  :LOL:

tras2 said:
Thanks for the replies.

We're going to give Giant's Figure-8 a miss this time.  The reports of "waiting for the sump to drain" & the muddiness of the Filthy Five have put everyone else off :(  Hopefully by the time we next visit the "SamT sump pump' will be ready to go  :)

Nettle Pot looks to be the new preferred option.....for some unknown reason! From http://www.tsgcaving.co.uk/content/Trip-Reports/nettle-pot-angus-sawyer:-
Reaching between Tom's legs, my hand squashed by the roof against his groin, I grasped something hard! His belt buckle, jammed against the rock. With the buckle rotated, not without some difficulty, Tom was free and quickly through, leaving me to struggle through, controlled breathing being essential.