caving suit repairs

cavemanmike

i have successfully been repairing many of my oversuits over the years with f balls "f30" seaming adhesive. it's a flooring adhesive you can get from any flooring wholesaler . 

PeteHall

cavemanmike said:
i have successfully been repairing many of my oversuits over the years with f balls "f30" seaming adhesive. it's a flooring adhesive you can get from any flooring wholesaler .

Thanks for the tip.  (y)

Is that on a PVC or cordura suit? or both?

royfellows

Some info, hopefully useful

Builders merchants sell a PVC solvent adhesive for pipework that will weld glue PVC. However it is not a contact adhesive and requires both surfaces to be compressed together. I have a square block of steel I use. The best adhesive I have used to date comes from Jewsons

I used EvoStick in the past to repair neoprene wet suits but the 'real stuff' more difficult to get due to solvent abuse, the solvent free stuff was rubbish. I recently tried their TimeBond and amazing, its the best I have ever used! Whats more it does not appear to go off in the tin.

I often use neoprene thigh waders for mine walk ins, but they spring leaks I cannot address. I have just had this and eventually been successful in solving the riddle. The heels on these and ordinary wellies are hollow. So a cut in the heel lets the water in which then rises inside the boot. I have just filled my waders heel with silicone by shoving the nozzle into the hole and pumping away until it oozed back out. Now try leaking.

wormster

Dental floss is good for sewing rents and patches, mind you need a sailmakers palm to get through a Warmbac - oh and it smells "minty fresh" as well!!

PeteHall

wormster said:
...mind you need a sailmakers palm to get through a Warmbac
You should try one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speedy-Stitcher-Sewing-Awl-/181671319111?hash=item2a4c745647:g:M2gAAOSwPYZU5f15
Brilliant for sewing oversuits, but not as speedy as it would have you believe, hence I'm going to have to try some of that f30 stuff as I've not had a lot of luck with other glues.

Aparantley "Aquasure" neoprene glue is also very good, just very expensive and you need to keep it in the fridge once opened or it goes bad very quick...

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
For caving suit repairs, you also need a couple of house bricks it seems.

Photo taken in my kitchen - it's been there for days....just grateful it's not a stripped down motorbike  ::)

wl

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Madness said:
Pegasus said:
Photo taken in my kitchen

Is it not Badlad's kitchen also? ;)

I stand corrected  :blink:

...also reliably informed, it's not the same oversuit that's been there for days but 3 different suits being repaired one after the other - so a production line - using bricks  :)

Gerbil007

I've had some success recently, stitching up suits with 10lb monofilament fishing line, then liberally covering the repair with Aquasure. I've also been using Black Witch neoprene glue which also seems to do a good job.

chunky

Pegasus said:
Madness said:
Pegasus said:
Photo taken in my kitchen

Is it not Badlad's kitchen also? ;)

I stand corrected  :blink:

...also reliably informed, it's not the same oversuit that's been there for days but 3 different suits being repaired one after the other - so a production line - using bricks  :)

!!! can I bring my over suit for repair.....sadly I don't have any bricks of my own  ;)