Rope in Simpson's

JoshY

On a pull through trip on 30/04/17, Slit Pot refused to release our rope.

I believe it is a 54m length, and will also have one of our karabiners tied into it. It is marked YUCPC and has red and yellow tape.

If anyone going in there is able to free it, we would be eternally grateful.

langcliffe

JoshY said:
On a pull through trip on 30/04/17, Slit Pot refused to release our rope.

I believe it is a 54m length, and will also have one of our karabiners tied into it. It is marked YUCPC and has red and yellow tape.

If anyone going in there is able to free it, we would be eternally grateful.

We collected this on our way through this morning, and we have left it at Inglesport. I suggest that you pick it up as as soon as possible. Unfortunately, I still have the karabiner - p.m. me and I'll try to get it back to you.

The reason why the rope stuck was that you has a short loop at the holding knot krabbed into the descent rope. This meant that when you pulled the down rope, the descent rope was pulled sideways just underneath the P-hanger so it had a 300 degree bend in it. The problem wouldn't have occurred if you had a longer loop, or, even easier, dispensed with the karabiner altogether.

Ian Ball

Which bolts were being used?  There is a post on here somewhere saying the obvious bolts aren't the best for pulling down. 

langcliffe

Ian Ball said:
Which bolts were being used?  There is a post on here somewhere saying the obvious bolts aren't the best for pulling down.

The two on the other side of the slot - but it was the rigging technique being used that caused the problem, not the bolts being used.