Stockport A6 roadworks on the merseyway bridge 24th July for 12wks

alastairgott

Probably will affect Peak District more, but for 12 weeks from Monday 24th July, the Bridge in Stockport over the bus station and merseyway shopping (in the centre, where it dips) will be Closed for "essential" repairs.

Alternative Route from Manchester is up to the Denton Rock, anticlockwise around the motorway ring around Manchester, then take the junction towards Sheffield, (probably also signed for Hyde and Glossop) get some proper directions to where you want to go.
otherwise you may want to try going clockwise round the loop and making your way via the alderley edge roads.
or of course you can take pot luck on traffic through the centre (which will probably be fine late at night, but awful in rush-hour).

Forthcoming A6 Wellington Road Bridge Works

This summer engineers need to undertake essential repair works to the bridge that runs under the A6 in Stockport town centre between Exchange Street (Garrick Theatre) and Heaton Lane.
From Monday 24th July 2017, this section of road will be closed to traffic, in both directions, for up to 12 weeks, so that repair work can be undertaken.  The works are needed to address current maintenance issues and to prolong the bridge?s life.  A pedestrian route will be kept open along the A6 throughout the works during the works meaning that there will still be access for pedestrians.

Whilst the A6 is closed, a number of alternative routes into and through Stockport town centre will be signed.  This will include St Mary?s Way where the current improvement works will temporarily stop to allow more traffic to use the road.  Taxis will be able to use Mersey Square for the period of the road closure.

These work are essential and we are doing all we can to keep disruption to a minimum.  This includes planning the repairs for the quieter summer months, extending working hours, and working with the contractor to keep the closure as short as possible. 

Shops, car parks, and businesses across the whole of the town centre will still be open for everyone to visit and enjoy whilst the works are taking place.  You may just need to leave a few more minutes for your journey and use our online tools to help you plan your journey. 

Free After 3.00pm car parking will be offered at Heaton Lane and Merseyway car parks throughout the period of the road closure.

Stockport Council is serious about investing in our roads and transport networks to make sure people can travel safely into and around Stockport.

These are the most substantial repairs that this section of the bridge has needed in its 177 year history and by doing these works we will be ensuring it is safe for use for years to come. 
Whilst the repairs are taking place, the Council is going to use the opportunity to start its work improving the A6, helping to ensure this important route becomes part of the overall improvements taking place across the town centre.

Over the coming weeks more information about the works, including diversion routes and ways in which you can keep yourself up to date, will be available online at www.stockport.gov.uk/a6  or @SMBC_Roadworks.

If you have any questions about the works, please email towncentreaccess@stockport.gov.uk or call 0161 4742299

We would be grateful if you could forward this information to any of your contacts with an interest in the works.

Kind regards,

Sue Stevenson
Head of Highways and Transportation
Stockport Council

Pitlamp

Thanks Skippy - can I just double check the answer to what probably seems an obvious question, if going from the Dales to Castleton via the east side of the M60 and joining the A6 via that short bit of dual carriageway from (I think) Junction 26, signed "Buxton" - I take it the above should be no problem?

alastairgott

No Worries Pitlamp.

If you can see the attached, the red Road is the one in question.

Orange roads will most likely have the most congestion on them but I would expect some of the Outlying Roads to also have congestion on them, hence my suggestion to get off at the denton junction signed Sheffield.

I wouldn't even bother with anything in the Grey Hatches.

sorry for my terrible scribblings in paint again!

Attachments

• blackburn to castleton1.jpg
    blackburn to castleton1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 151

alastairgott

Jn's 25 and Higher will probably be Gridlocked in Rush hour (numbered Clockwise) and Jn 1 will probably also be Gridlocked. but then again that's usual for the m60 near the Coop pyramid. It backs right up to the Denton junction (24) in moderate morning traffic

Pitlamp

Thanks - that doesn't look good. Guess I'll carry on with stuff in the Dales and various Peak projects will have to wait till the Autumn.

Cheers for the advance warning and all the information.

alastairgott

Pitlamp said:
Peak projects will have to wait till the Autumn.

[disapproving frown] :)
I'm sure you'll be fine, the journey time from Denton to Castleton (via Glossop) is approx 45mins or less. I'm sure there's a few cavers that come from clitHERO using that route and have a good journey time.

skippy

I was actually born and bred in Stockport Pitlamp and cut my teeth with 'Stockport Cave Group'...I think you may already know that though  ;)

Mrs Trellis

Whilst the huge roundabout at Bredbury/Brinnington at J27 may be choked in rush hour on a weekend morning it shouldn't be too bad.

There is an alternative to Otterspool Road which is Stockport Road W- New Zealand Road-Marple Road-Marple-New Mills-bypass-Rushup Edge or Sparrowpit.

This avoids the A6 until Newtown.

Pitlamp

alastairgott said:
Pitlamp said:
Peak projects will have to wait till the Autumn.

[disapproving frown] :)
I'm sure you'll be fine, the journey time from Denton to Castleton (via Glossop) is approx 45mins or less. I'm sure there's a few cavers that come from clitHERO using that route and have a good journey time.

My apologies Alastair; if I wasn't so busy with projects in the Dales at the moment you'd be seeing a lot more of me. Roadworks are a feeble excuse anyway as I could always go via M67, Glossop (or more likely peel off right via Charlesworth), Hayfield, A6.

If you know natives of Clitheroe you should ask them to get you a selection of products from the finest sausage shop in the universe. They'll know what you mean by that comment.  Pork & walnut are my favourite, closely followed by rosemary lamb. We once had a sausage fest at the Chapel, with about 20 different sorts. As we from Lancashire say "It were grand".

cooleycr

If you are going down the Marple - Strines - New Mills route, you might do better to carry on to Hayfield and avoid the A6 until the end of the Chapel bypass (i.e. emerge at the Ferodo roundabout)- would also work if you are coming via Glossop (or Charlesworth)... as there is a lot of development on the A6 through Disley (my patch) which might impact the flow of traffic down the A6, I avoid this by going over the top to Whaley Bridge and then picking up the Chapel bypass

Groundhog

As I live in Heaton Moor and work in Hazel Grove I expected this to be a major headache.
However I have found that both the local alternatives to be quite free of hold ups. That is Lancashire Hill to Hillgate or Georges road through Adswood or Cheadle.
This morning I set off early and my journey took less time than normal.
Maybe everyone is staying at home. When the schools finish I expect it will be even better.
Apologies if someone tries this and gets stuck in a jam!

alastairgott

It is bizarre! maybe they did all their shopping the week before, as I waited 30 mins for a bus last week (should be every 10mins) and then gave up and walked halfway home (20-30mins) before I saw the next bus.

back on the pushbike this week, thanks to the Bike shop near Hitch 'n Hike.

AR

...while some of us are about to start a new job in Stockport. I shall be making use of the Hazel Grove park and ride!

alastairgott

AR said:
...while some of us are about to start a new job in Stockport. I shall be making use of the Hazel Grove park and ride!

A train from Buxton or a train from Macclesfield may be quicker?, but likely to be less cost effective.
Good shout, Seems like it's ?4.30 for the bus on the Park and Ride vs more on the train.

Mrs Trellis

AR - Marple Road should be ok until the schools go back. Either turn off the A6 at either Newtown, High Lane (Andrew Lane) or Hazel Grove (Bull's Head).

cooleycr

If you are heading along the A6 in the direction of Stockport then do NOT go past Newtown as the lights are still in operation in Disley,( Redhouse Lane junction (just past the White Lion/Zebra), along with works at the MARRS junction on High Lane.
It is a right hassle getting to the stables in Strines right now....