Bad air / pollution / bad bolts / etc

bubba

Administrator
This topic only for updates on current alerts. Keep all discussion regarding any particular alert to seperate topics please.

J

John S

Agen Allwedd

It seems that after a 50mm downpour on 4th Sept 09, Biza Passage has been reported as being sumped. This is the first time for decade or more!
On investigation (12/10/09) I found Lower Main Stream Passage had had a 1.2m high flood through it. (foam levels) Unfortunately I was unable to get to Biza Passage to confirm if it was sumped.

Could anyone trying a Grand Circle bear this in mind and confirm or deny the report.

J

John S

John S said:
Agen Allwedd

It seems that after a 50mm downpour on 4th Sept 09, Biza Passage has been reported as being sumped. This is the first time for decade or more!
On investigation (12/10/09) I found Lower Main Stream Passage had had a 1.2m high flood through it. (foam levels) Unfortunately I was unable to get to Biza Passage to confirm if it was sumped.

Could anyone trying a Grand Circle bear this in mind and confirm or deny the report.

This has now been checked out (thanks Bob T.) and the round trip is open but tide lines show that it had sumped !

ditzy 24//7

http://www.aditnow.co.uk/community/viewtopic.aspx?t=3936
report of adit collapse and big cracks appearing above quarry face at maenofferen, cookes adit
these pics are from ages ago, this area is now very unstable if still there and best to stay well away

19588893a6025214806l.jpg

19588893a6025214764l.jpg

19588893a6025212785l.jpg

jaswa

Afon Meirchion Cave (Lower) - grid ref: SJ 022 694

During trip on Monday 12th July 2010, Gas Alarm went off with O2 level at 19.2% at start of first sand crawl.  H2s, CO and H2S were all zero.

2 other individuals who had already passed through the crawl and proceeded approx another 30m returned ok. 1 member reported slight headache, other member had no side effects. No reading were taken further into the cave than the first sand crawl, but general concusses was that the levels were well below 19 further in the system.

Sand had been disturbed and the system was dry at the time.

jarvist

I'm unhappy to report that there was an extremely strong smell of Diesel / Fuel Oil in the entrance to Little Neath (Sunday 16-10-11). The bypass was totally clean. By the time you got to Sand chamber it wasn't too bad, but it was really quite nauseating at first.

The flood debris didn't smell any worse than the cave itself, and there were no noticeable oil droplets in the puddles on ledges.

You could smell it outside in the river itself, so hopefully it's just a small contamination that is passing through right now.

SteveBonham

Smell of oil in entrance series of Little Neath on Saturday 12th October. Also where the floor was smooth it felt very slippery as if greasy.

Spike

The knotted rope up the climb beyond the duck in Ogof Fechan is badly frayed.

The previous party had left the rope pulled up and as a result we didn't see the climb to begin with. Having seen it though, we left it pulled up after us. The rift can be free-climbed or it can be bypassed by the awkward thrutch to the left as you exit the duck, you can then drop the rope down to the rest of your party having made your own assessment of it.

jiant

Strong sewage-like smell in the entrance series to Little Neath yesterday, 26 August. From the entrance down to where you climb down a 1.5m waterfall where it was strongest. Unpleasant but bearable.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

AWW

jiant said:
Strong sewage-like smell in the entrance series to Little Neath yesterday, 26 August. From the entrance down to where you climb down a 1.5m waterfall where it was strongest. Unpleasant but bearable.

Yuk.  :ras:
You get a lot of camping in that field nearby. Could it be anything to do with that?

jiant

AWW said:
jiant said:

Yuk.  :ras:
You get a lot of camping in that field nearby. Could it be anything to do with that?
Could be. The camping was as busy as I'd ever seen it.

Minion

It may be worth contacting Welsh Water so they can investigate. I don't think there are any sewage treatment works in the area though? Could be a job for NRW instead?

Huge

Ogof Cynnes - broken ladder.

Treat all fixed aids in this cave with suspicion. Some no doubt date back to the original exploration in the late sixties.

One side of the chain ladder on the Second Pot has now broken. Below is a photo of the ladder, which I believe was taken a couple of years ago, before the breakage. There is also a short section of this ladder on the Muddy Slot.

The bolts, hangers etc. at the pitch head are probably also very old and and must also be suspect. Given the tight nature of the tube leading to the pitch and the lack of sound belays at the pitch head, it's a tricky place to rig in a satisfactory way. Perhaps all the old tat needs removing and a couple of decent resin anchors fitted. The alternative via Talk Back is very tight and a slip down into the even tighter part will seriously compromise the ability to breath!

All handlines and metal bars throughout the rest of the cave should also be treated with caution. Given the tight and awkward nature of parts of the cave, particularly in the entrance series, rescue would, no doubt, be a difficult proposition.

Attachments

• FB_20160816_11_10_34_Saved_Picture.jpg
    FB_20160816_11_10_34_Saved_Picture.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 889