Level Fawr, Cwmystwyth - New Picture of collapse

K

Kelvin

Level Fawr was re-visited at the weekend with better camera gear (more flash guns :D ) a newer picture of the collapse can now be found on the scmc web site at http://www.serve.com/scmc/trips.html

I will replace the truck picture (in the morning) with a view looking up under the corner of the fall - showing some interesting shaped roof timbers !

Cheers

rich

Has anyone had a look round the rest of the mine yet to see if anything else has been affected by the collapse (Kingside adit, etc.)? Was thinking of doing a bit of mining this week.

M

Mine Explorer

rich said:
Has anyone had a look round the rest of the mine yet to see if anything else has been affected by the collapse (Kingside adit, etc.)? Was thinking of doing a bit of mining this week.

On Sunday we just went in Level Fawr on a photo trip. We went up the hopper & down the ladders - that was all OK. The day after the rescue practice Kelvin & two other members of Shropshire went in Level Fawr: Up the hopper, down the ladders, up the ladders, down the pipes & out. With the exception of the obvious collapse everything else was OK.

On the rescue practice we had teams looking in a number of the adits from 'crossroads' up the valley away from Level Fawr. The 'crossroads' through trip was unchanged. Taylor's Adit was the same as normal (watch out for the passage with a known history of bad air - there's nowt up that branch worth seeing anyway).

Search teams went in many of the levels in that part of the complex without reporting anything out of the ordinary (bearing in mind most of the teams had never been in the levels before anyway!).

I must admit I've not been in Kingside and don't know anyone that has recently, so can't pass comment on that specific level, but I think in general the place is much the same as normal other than the obvious fall.

It would be interesting to know what caused the collapse in L.F. - was there a tremor in the area that triggered it, or did the timber just give way? Oh well, should get my film back from the lab tomorrow - yet more piccys of piles of rock and broken timber ;)

Happy mining!
Mine X.

rich

Already replied to this earlier but my post got eaten. I'll try doing it drunk:

Mine Explorer said:
On the rescue practice we had teams looking in a number of the adits from 'crossroads' up the valley away from Level Fawr. The 'crossroads' through trip was unchanged. Taylor's Adit was the same as normal (watch out for the passage with a known history of bad air - there's nowt up that branch worth seeing anyway).

I know - I was there! Probably talked to you (Rich from Aber).

Search teams went in many of the levels in that part of the complex without reporting anything out of the ordinary (bearing in mind most of the teams had never been in the levels before anyway!).

They did? Are we talking about the same place? I'm referring to Kingside adit, the one that is blocked to the surface but can be accessed through Lefel Fawr.

I must admit I've not been in Kingside and don't know anyone that has recently, so can't pass comment on that specific level, but I think in general the place is much the same as normal other than the obvious fall.

Same as normal in Cwmystwyth is falling to bits anyway... Kingside had a new collapse last time I was down there - the dodgy crawl from by the fountain thingy was worse than before. I'm not optimistic about its chances of existence with a major fall in the level above.

M

Mine Explorer

Rich said:
I know - I was there! Probably talked to you (Rich from Aber).

Ah, Mmm, Ok, yep - saw you briefly before I went off to get soaked in Taylor's, wouldn't be able to pick you out of an ID parade of those present though! (unless you also got soaked in Taylor's)

Search teams went in....

They did? Are we talking about the same place?
Umm, no - my poor description. I was trying to description the levels east of L.F. - eg. 'Crossroads', 'Taylors' etc. (but without referring to a map)

I'm referring to Kingside adit, the one that is blocked to the surface but can be accessed through Lefel Fawr.
Gotcha - explains why I couldn't remember ever seeing the entrance to Kingside open, I tend to think of down there still in terms of L.F. The skip-way down is still clear, but I haven't been at the bottom for a couple of months.

Spent last night/this morning (yawn!) busy scanning film. I'll post a 'spot the difference' when I get home tonight.

TTFN
Mine X.

M

Mine Explorer

Mine Explorer said:
Spent last night/this morning (yawn!) busy scanning film...

Well I've just updated my website with new photos taken on Sunday, not just of the fall (it's only rocks after all!) but also of some other sights in the level. The direct link is: Cwmystwyth Mine Pages

Included is a 'spot the difference' before & after photo, also a piccy of the timbers that are preventing the 'small hole' from closing up. For a description and route finding visit the SCMC News Page as written by Kelvin.

rich

Mine Explorer said:
Well I've just updated my website with new photos taken on Sunday, not just of the fall (it's only rocks after all!) but also of some other sights in the level. The direct link is: Cwmystwyth Mine Pages

Wow - very nice photos! Especially the one on the surface.

There's a couple of pics of Kingside here:
http://users.aber.ac.uk/club06/old/triplogs2003/boattrip/fawrboattrip.htm
...the bit I was talking about is the picture of the dodgy crawl about half way down.

M

Mine Explorer

Cheers, I'd like to take some more on the surface, but it's usually p!$$ing down with rain and blowing a gale when I'm round there!

From your report it sounds as though you had some fun! Our club has a few tales to tell about inflatables as well - I think there's now a club ruling about wearing stilettos on underground trips after an inflatable grew a leak!