breakthrough...!

H

Huw Groucutt

Dig in Carno went! The first new cave ive found which is cool. Think its about 100 metres, some fairly substantial passages (upto 6 by 3 metres)! now various digs and good drafts to push!

mudmonkey

Whereabouts in the cave is this? I've been in a few times through Full Moon/OTM, but never the other way when you come down the first ladder as it always sounded grim, and short. Do I need to go back now?

M

mudman

Nice one Huw. :)
Which dig was it? The one in the adit with the bad air? Or one in the cave proper?

I suppose that this means that poor old BOD will be left alone again for a while. :wink:

H

Huw Groucutt

It was the dig at the top of the brickyard aven, not far after the 2nd pitch. If youve done OTM and dropped down the rope at the end then youll know where it is, if you look up instead of down at the drop at the end of OTM there is a large aven going up.

M

mudman

Oh so you've moved into the cave.
There seems to be a lot going on in that area that needs a good look at. If you go through the window into the small chamber, there's also an interesting dig in the floor and I reckon that a dig above there might repay a bit of effort.
Can flood there quite spectacularly as well. We went back there after the cave had been shut by flooding for a few months to discover that the chamber had flooded to quite a depth. I'd left my brew kit on top of the pile of breakdown in there and it got swept away. Found a plastic cup on a small ledge on the wall opposite that was just in reach.
There was even evidence of water flowing through the Brickyard and down from that aven. So, all in all an interesting place.

mudmonkey

Yeah - I remember a few years back I came back through OTM and there was dry cracked mud up at the top of Dark Side Aven - no footprints - this went on quite a few metres further up into the OTM series before we got footprints again

Not to mention ripple marks on dusty sand floors elsewhere and (dry) foam on some of the walls.....

Wierd place!

H

Huw Groucutt

mudman said:
Oh so you've moved into the cave.
If you go through the window into the small chamber, there's also an interesting dig in the floor and I reckon that a dig above there might repay a bit of effort.

might have a poke at that actually cos the passage/chamber to it is quite substantial and heading into a good area

H

Huw Groucutt

I hear i'm mentioned in descent, with words very similar to my initial message on this thread! I'd just like to say that Charles Bailey and Adrian Fawcett were also involved, and as they initially climbed the aven and we were all involved in the dig so they deserve more credit than me (particularly as i've emigrated up north so not going to be involved in the dig for some time). Anyway a full report will be published sometime.