caving huts...

newcastlecaver

just to provide a new talking point;

where do people think is the best place to stay?

In the dales, our club almost always stays in YSS- you can't beat being next to the Helwith Bridge but Bull Pot farm has more atmosphere (and mice :? )?

i might even find somewhere new to stay?

although you can never beat sleeping in a cave- there's nothing like waking up cold in the pitch black and having to take a minute to remember where you are!

Rob

It's got to be the SUSS hut!

+ Size of a large bathtub
+ Sleeps ~25 if you really love each other :bang:

+ Water on tap (40m away)

+ In the garden of the almighty Hill Inn (with almighty Cartwheel)!!!

+ Only £2 a night

How could it be beaten?

T

twllddu

You could try the NPC place at Greenclose between Clapham and Bentham (http://www.northernpennineclub.org.uk/). It's had quite a bit of work done on it recently and the pennine members don't bite as much as they used to :) It's also pretty laid back so that you can essentially do what you want as long as you don't wreck the place.

D

Dave H

My mate Robin found us a wonderful place to stay in Derbyshire.:evil:
"It's halfway between Hathersage & Stanage Edge, with wonderful views"
He wasn't wrong, but he didn't mention that it was a 200m walk from the car uphill across a field to the "hut" (box). But it did have running water (from a spring) and a toilet (chemical - no one used it so they didn't have to empty it)
It was fairly full with 6 of us, but suposedly sleeps 10.
Oh, did I mention no electicity, or lighting.
It's owned by a scout group, so you have to have a scouting link to hire it.
I would be most pleased to pass on the details to anyone who is interested in it :roll:

cap n chris

The Marten Arms was lovely. Hot shower, cooked breakfast, excellent evening meal, loads of beers and whiskeys available and central heating too. Mind you it cost a shed load more than £2 a night.

A

Ann

My mate Robin found us a wonderful place to stay in Derbyshire.
"It's halfway between Hathersage & Stanage Edge
If you fancy another trip to Derbyshire try the TSG Hut - Right in the centre of Castleton close to all Castleton caves including Peak Cavern. www.tsgcaving.co.uk - Bookings warden@tsgcaving.co.uk

D

Dave H

Thanks Ann, that was the message we passed on to Robin, in no uncertain manner!

ianball11

Ann said:
If you fancy another trip to Derbyshire try the TSG Hut - Right in the centre of Castleton close to all Castleton caves including Peak Cavern. www.tsgcaving.co.uk - Bookings warden@tsgcaving.co.uk

I've tried to email the TSG webmaster a few times and it always bounces, and he doesn't return calls. He musn't want us there :(

I imagine if we didn't leave it to the last minute then it wouldn't be as difficult!

Ian B.

T

tubby two

Sleeping down the cave is pretty sweet, got to agree.

Our club rents southerscales cottage, behind the hill inn, for the christmas(ish) do once a year, thats hard to beat, especially with a keg of beer! the only problem is that you need to book in a different name each year so they dont associate us with the widespread destruction of the place. the top of the cartwheel in the pub can also provide a 'small' problem. so to speak!

tt.

SamT

The eldon sometimes stay in the Belfrey when down in mendip. Nice evening wobble back from the hunters.

T

Titch98

ianball11 said:
I've tried to email the TSG webmaster a few times and it always bounces, and he doesn't return calls. He musn't want us there :(

Have had the same problem with emailing their hut warden - no response. It took a visit to TSG meet at "The Chapel" to enquire about accommodation.......

A bit more expensive, but usually use Bunkhouses at Pindale Outdoor Centre in Castleton when Caving in that area - added benefit is use of the climbing wall and abseil tower on side of "Engine House" for SRT "above ground" practice.

paul

In Derbyshire, there's always the Orpheus CC cottage at Parsley Hay near Monyash...

www.orpheuscavingclub.co.uk

T

tubby two

A bit more expensive, but usually use Bunkhouses at Pindale Outdoor Centre in Castleton when Caving in that area - added benefit is use of the climbing wall and abseil tower on side of "Engine House" for SRT "above ground" practice.

sOUNDS USEFUL FOR FRESHERS TRIPS, HOW MUCH MORE IS THE BIT MORE? dOES IT HAVE A DRYING ROOM AND KITCHEN ETC?

(sorry, must have pressed caps lock there!)

tt.

T

Titch98

tubby two said:
sOUNDS USEFUL FOR FRESHERS TRIPS, HOW MUCH MORE IS THE BIT MORE? dOES IT HAVE A DRYING ROOM AND KITCHEN ETC?

If I remember correctly it is £8.50 per person per night (will be able to confirm after weekend as I am up there). There are full kitchen facilities, toilet, shower area (where the water is hot, unlike the camp ground showers!), bunks sleep up to 8 and large dining area.They are in process off building laundrette area. Fee also includes ammount of electricity tokens for meter and as previously mentioned, get use of the climbing wall and abseil tower.

A

Ann

I've tried to email the TSG webmaster a few times and it always bounces, and he doesn't return calls. He musn't want us there
:shock: Of course we want you :!: I will look into the E Mail situation straight away - In the meantime we are in the process of changing the Hostel Booking Warden - Miles Thornton 01926 424369 Evening or 0121 2133308 Daytime

ianball11

We were there a few weeks ago, it cost us £8 per person, we got a proper impressive bunk house, actually was the enginge house which was cool. It's in Hope rather than Castleton. The tokens you give back after you stayed and they charge you for what you use, they give you ten and if you give five back they want a fiver.

Nice place though. Only problem is no drying room. Which isn't really a problem, but they are converting it as no one ever used it!

Really good place to stay, cheaper than a youth hostel.
Ian B.