Sink Holes

Rich West

Heads Up.
Horizon - BBC 2 Monday 3rd Feb at 21:00hrs

"In February 2013, a hole opened up beneath a home in Florida, and swallowed a man.
Jeff Bush was asleep when a sinkhole opened up beneath his bedroom. Despite the efforts of his brother to rescue him, Jeff was never seen again and his body was never recovered.
Professor Iain Stewart travels to Florida to try and understand what killed Jeff, and why the geology of this state makes it the sinkhole capital of the world."

paul

Rich West said:
Heads Up.
Horizon - BBC 2 Monday 3rd Feb at 21:00hrs

"In February 2013, a hole opened up beneath a home in Florida, and swallowed a man.
Jeff Bush was asleep when a sinkhole opened up beneath his bedroom. Despite the efforts of his brother to rescue him, Jeff was never seen again and his body was never recovered.
Professor Iain Stewart travels to Florida to try and understand what killed Jeff, and why the geology of this state makes it the sinkhole capital of the world."

A bit of background info: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25983415

graham

Anyone else remember the flint-mine shaft in Norwich that swallowed a bus about twenty odd years ago?

Les W

graham said:
Anyone else remember the flint-mine shaft in Norwich that swallowed a bus about twenty odd years ago?

Not me. Are you sure that wasn't a Sunday Sport article...  :LOL:

graham

Les W said:
graham said:

Not me. Are you sure that wasn't a Sunday Sport article...  :LOL:

No, it was when Linda chaired CSCC & we had a lot of anguished phone calls about it.

Spike

This story?

SinkingBus.jpg

Roger W

"All this country is hollow. Could you strike it with some gigantic hammer it would boom like a drum...."  Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Andy Farrant

That sinkhole near High Wycombe is most likely to be a collapsed Chalk mine or dene hole (its on Clay-with-Flints over Seaford Chalk, not far from an old brick works), although a natural cause can't be ruled out.
The Norwich bus incident was again an old mine collapse; there have been several in and around Norwich.

Alex

The backstreet at my parents house in bolton has constantly been sinking all the time I lived there, apparntly there is old coal mines underneath. The street is like a roller coaster with all dips in it. Whenever the council straightens it out the dip reforms. As of yet there has been no actual holes but when my dad was digging the yard up 10 years ago, he came across a void and all the rain water in the hole dissapeared down it. Not sure whats down there and whether one day it will all collapse. Just hope I am not visiting and parked in there backyard when that happens!

Roger W

Alex said:
The backstreet at my parents house in bolton has constantly been sinking all the time I lived there, apparntly there is old coal mines underneath. The street is like a roller coaster with all dips in it. Whenever the council straightens it out the dip reforms. As of yet there has been no actual holes but when my dad was digging the yard up 10 years ago, he came across a void and all the rain water in the hole dissapeared down it. Not sure whats down there and whether one day it will all collapse. Just hope I am not visiting and parked in there backyard when that happens!

What?  You haven't dug down to find out???

Bottlebank

In 1892 a locomotive was lost in a hole in Cumbria that today is often interpreted as a sinkhole:

Excellent story! Can you imagine the outcry today if passengers had to walk three quarters of a mile to get past the hole!

Alex

It will likly be dangerous half collapsed coal workings and I would never get the permit, my dad would kill me lol.

Rhys

"...while a large sinkhole appeared on the B4265 St Brides Road at Wick, Vale of Glamorgan."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-26111651

This was reported the week before last. It was potentially nearer to cave bearing limestone than most of those reported. Don't know if anyone local got over to have a look. JessopSmythe...?