Author Topic: Eldon Hole - Trip Report  (Read 72453 times)

Offline Born again caver

• regular
  • YSS
Re: Eldon Hole - Trip Report
« Reply #400 on: May 27, 2016, 03:43:01 pm »
Great stuff, I shall try and head down to Derbyshire next week.

Online Mark Wright

• obsessive maniac
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #401 on: June 03, 2016, 12:40:20 am »
Mark Richardson, TomTom, Tommy (SUSS) and me down there this evening for another successful trip. No downward progress but the next dogleg is coming along nicely. A good few buckets were hauled out as well as the bone samples discovered on the previous trip.

Determined not to miss the pub this week we were all on the surface by 10.30 only to find the Devonshire closed. We went to the Red Lion in Litton instead and caught the last few stragglers from the Eldon PC monthly meeting.

No weekend trip this week as most of the Badgers are away but we will be down there next Thursday evening if anyone would like to join us. 7pm at the Eldon Hole car park.   

Mark

Offline Mark R

• addict
  • BBPC
« Reply #402 on: June 03, 2016, 12:35:38 pm »

Online Badlad

• Administrator
  • junky
« Reply #403 on: June 03, 2016, 04:24:59 pm »
There's a few bits there that look like the aftermath of a chicken dinner.  ;D

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #404 on: June 03, 2016, 06:49:52 pm »
Is it possible that top piece might be a boar tusk?

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #405 on: June 03, 2016, 07:08:19 pm »
Is it possible that top piece might be a boar tusk?

Don't think so, not curved enough.
Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment

Offline AR

• forum star
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #406 on: June 03, 2016, 09:07:38 pm »
I think it's another bit of cow horn; compare the texturing with the large piece and they look similar.

At least some of those bones are from a large bird (corvid, perhaps?) - the cranium, beak and breastbone are there and I think some of the other smaller bones belong to the same skeleton.
Dirty old mines need love too....

Online Mark Wright

• obsessive maniac
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #407 on: June 10, 2016, 12:55:12 am »
Pete O'Neill, Ivor and me had another good session down Eldon Hole this evening.

We cleared the large pile of rubble we had dumped at the bottom of the original shaft and then proceeded to make another pile of rubble in its place. The current bottom is now cleared ready for some more scaffolding. We just about cleared the bottom of the original shaft a second time but the 'Pub' alarm went off and we just made last orders in the Devonshire.

The West route now has an additional re-belay (3rd of 5) to help split the pitch up for speedier evening 'Last Orders' exits.

I did notice the fixed rope is starting to show signs of heavy wear in one particular spot between the 2nd and 3rd re-belays. I will hopefully change this out next Thursday evening.

No draught tonight.

Mark 

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #408 on: June 10, 2016, 01:05:49 am »

No draught tonight.

Mark

Hmmm, 'neutral' ambient conditions or have you bunged up the hole?? ;)

Was it noticeably warmer in the chamber?

Online Mark Wright

• obsessive maniac
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #409 on: June 10, 2016, 01:20:32 am »
It is quite muddy at the very bottom so it could well have bunged up any holes. It was doing that a lot about 3m above where we are now.

I can't say as I noticed it being warmer in the chamber but we did get straight into hauling buckets and we soon had a dab on.

Mark

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #410 on: June 10, 2016, 01:42:01 am »
Thanks for the quick response Mark, I was thinking it has been rather warm locally, and if the chamber temperature had risen significantly, it might have had an effect.

Re; The rope: I suspect the usage has been well recorded, maybe Bob Mayhew (or someone else?) would find it useful for rig tests? this kind of information could be very informative?

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, PDMHS
« Reply #411 on: June 10, 2016, 02:42:54 pm »
You could probably weigh that rope in for the Aluminium ;)

But good work guys - I may try and lend a hand again soon if our big hole will let me.

Online Mark Wright

• obsessive maniac
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #412 on: June 17, 2016, 12:27:16 am »
Mark Richardson, Ivor and me down Eldon Hole again tonight. A good session of digging and scaffolding finished off with a pint in the Cheshire Cheese in Castleton. The West route is now re-rigged with a newish length of 11mm. You still need to take a short length (15m) and a carabiner for the first re-belay to get you down to where the permanent rope starts.

There will be the usual trip down there next Thursday and the Badgers are planning a big session over the weekend of the 25th and 26th June. More work on stabilising the entrance will be carried out over that weekend as well so if anyone would like to do their bit and help the project it will be a 10am start on both days. I'd love to help but I'm off to Glastonbury Festival on Sunday for 9 days.

Mark

Offline TomTom

• TomTom?
  • addict
  • ?
« Reply #413 on: June 27, 2016, 09:10:00 pm »
You're about to be spoilt! Here's Thursdays report with Sundays soon to follow I imagine.

Ivor, Mark R, TomTom

23/06/16

Whilst the country was having its EU vote on whether to cut off its nose to spite its face a small contingent of badgers headed off to do some twilight caving. Tonight's dig was to be a little different with some more work to be carried out on the entrance squeeze shafting. Surprisingly there was nothing to carry across the field today, but then some kind soul had left us a tackle bag of scaff clips at the top.

The newly rigged pitch is much less squeaky through my stops and after 60 or so metres I was at tonight's dig. Unfortunately we needed supplies though so we had to bottom the main dig to bring some poles and capping rods back.

It’s a little odd digging the entrance squeeze in summer, it’s more or less light enough to do without a head torch, but alas. Mark and Ivor started the night by trying to go all 127 hours on me with an oversized boulder. After getting it wedged in all sorts of positions they relented and broke out the capping gear. The good part about digging here is that we can just let the spoil fall into the main chamber, it rolls away from the dig and ends up at the dig spoil heap anyway.

We slowly ate away at the bank that makes up the squeeze, pulling out rocks and iron ladders alike. Through some faith in friction/gravity we managed to vaguely secure the slope enough to get two new rings in, really starting to open up what was once a slimy squeeze.

We did have a brief pause where we attempted to annihilate the dig by rolling a mammoth boulder down onto it, but this just helped to secure the scaffolding in place, holding the boards so voids can’t form behind.

All in all a very successful night, with no hauling required the three of us could all find jobs to do, leaving this new shaft looking pretty good. With another group having a go on Sunday this should make getting people and supplies into the main chamber much easier.

TomTom

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, PDMHS
« Reply #414 on: June 27, 2016, 10:29:45 pm »
Fantastic work - well done folks.

Offline Over the Hill

• addict
« Reply #415 on: June 28, 2016, 02:21:02 pm »
 :thumbsup:
NCC (45 years plus).

Offline Frodo

• BBPC
    • Buttered Badger Potholing Club
« Reply #416 on: June 29, 2016, 10:19:57 pm »
The weekends trip report.

A Jolly Good Shafting.

Mark R, Chris H, Mark S
25th & 26th June 2016

Saturday morning saw us driving to Rowter Farm. We stopped briefly at Peveril stores to pick up breakfast where I was told that they had run out of subs to put my meat feast in and subsequently asked if it would be alright if they put all the meat in a roll instead. We parked up in the Rowter Farm field surrounded by campers. Opened our sandwiches and started to eat. Before long the consequences of an Atkins diet sandwich were being felt. Extreme thirst from the 6 extra thick salty bacon rashers being one of them and I’m no stranger to the problems of potassium salts after excess sausage consumption.

We sat trying to digest and looked at one another pondering our trip to the Party Sausage for a poke around and some photographs. It was a long way to go for some photos. A trip that needed doing but maybe not today. That was it, decision made. We’d go and drop of the materials at Eldon instead so we could make progress tomorrow.
Having filled the van earlier in the morning with much wood and scaffolding we departed the farm and headed toward Eldon instead. The sun shining we started the walk up the hill with some boards. This process continued, turning into a less than enjoyable shoulder bruising slog as we completed several trips back and forth with kit.  In total we dropped off 14 scaffolding poles,  17 boards and some rope.

Next up we headed off to get some more supplies, new hack saw blades and some stainless steel pins. Ate more meat at Swanky Franks and suffered some truly awful customer service at the cinema.

Sunday morning arrived all too quickly and we departed to fuel up at the Yonderman Café (with some yet again ‘fantastic’ service) via a quick stop for another dozen scaffolding tubes and another stack of boards. Once at Eldon we did a quick run up the hill with some kit then changed at the van by which time Mark Sims had joined us from York. We spent the first hour or more lowering all the supplies in two uneven batches. The second being by far the biggest and lowered with much haste. I took shelter in the shaft while it landed and popped up to find a car crash of poles and boards strung together with rope.

I was surprised by the considerable change to the entrance since my last visit. It used to be a squalid stoop/crawl past rusty corrugate, squashed milk churns and the biodegrading remains of several hundred years worth of dead sheep, frogs, crows and whatever else had been misfortunate enough to fall into Eldon. Now it had the top section of a shaft, a lot of mud and a hole that looked a lot tidier and slightly less liable to collapse.

We made rapid progress digging out the loosely consolidated mud and rock ready to put the next ring of scaffolding in. Placing a ring was more or less a one man job so whilst Mark R installed it Mark S and I got to work either shifting mud and rock further down the slope or cutting boards/scaffolding, passing clips/tools etc. We then moved some more rock and mud and I had a go installing the next ring. The new Makita drill courtesy of UKCaving (Thanks Jane and Tim) made short work of the pin holes.
Before the ring could be installed we needed to remove a crushed steel milk churn/drum which was wedged between a larger boulder and the overhanging wall.

As we’d been digging down, a lot of material was falling out from behind the boards and making things unstable. Mark unwedged the milk churn at which point the large boulder also started to move. It didn’t look good. We quickly moved to wedge whatever short ends of scaff we had lying around into place to stop an Indiana Jones situation occurring where we’d find ourselves running/squeezing down the slope out of the way of the boulder. This gave us a few more minutes to come  up with a plan. One which involved Makita, several steel pins and a lot more scaffolding.

We finally got the ring in place, boards hammered in and some semblance of stability. Another ring went in and we created a step down under the overhanging section of wall.
Mark S then set about attaching our two remaining long sections of scaff to the wall to give us some more horizontal stability before we dig down for the next step and ring.
After about 7 or 8 hours underground we were pretty much out of materials. From all the kit that had been taken down plus what was already there we were now down to 2 scaff poles and 4 boards. The sacks of clips were also looking somewhat sparse.

All in all a great days digging even though its progress into the known it’ll make access for all a lot more enjoyable. It’s amazing how much just three of us could get done in one day, each of us taking it in turns to have a go at everything.

It is still very much a work in progress and will be continued on Thursday so as usual if you are wanting to take a look please use caution.

Chris

Photos in the original on our website - http://www.butteredbadger.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=405:a-jolly-good-shafting&catid=45:eldon-dig-reports&Itemid=58

Offline Goydenman

• Black Sheep Digger
  • junky
« Reply #417 on: June 29, 2016, 11:19:04 pm »
a lot achieved well done. You are getting through a lot of equipment must be getting to be a costly business but worth it eh

Offline Mark R

• addict
  • BBPC
« Reply #418 on: July 01, 2016, 01:21:52 pm »
30/06/16

Tom Tom, Ivor D, Mark R

Task 1 was to carry the final remaining few poles in our stock to the dig- easy peasy.

Task 2  was measure the total dig depth- easy again.. 14m

Task 3- we spent quite a while packing rock behind boards in the dig shaft where rings had previously slipped down. Dry stone walling expert Ivor attended to that whilst Tom did some 'stuff' at the top.

Task 4 was to haul the temporarily stockpiled rubble from the mid level shelf to the top and dispose of it. I hauled and filled buckets at the bottom, tom hauled from the top and Ivor emptied.It was so nice to be back to hauling rock out accompanied by the tortured scream of the pulley wheel :)

Once all of that was done, we left for the pub.. and for once managed to get there in time!! It was nice to get everything ready for the next dig. We will definitely be needing more tubes and boards very soon though!

Mark R

Offline TomTom

• TomTom?
  • addict
  • ?
« Reply #419 on: July 27, 2016, 12:38:07 pm »
Better late than never :)

The Pigeon Carrier - http://www.butteredbadger.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=407:the-pigeon-carrier&catid=45:eldon-dig-reports&Itemid=58

Ivor, Mark R, TomTom

14/07/16

This report has been written a little late so apologies for vagueness. We rigged the north and west route into Eldon and slid on down in the evening sunshine, heading for the main dig this evening. Mark started at the dig face clearing out some spoil to get another ring in, with me hauling out some rubble and Ivor had the glamorous job of cutting the scaff poles to length.

It didn’t take long to clear enough space to get the ring in, with the shaft still sinking vertically in order to give us the room we need to go diagonally again. The floor was fairly loose small rocks to start, but water does dribble down there so some of it was pretty gunky.

Once the ring was fitted we had a bit of a swap around, I headed to dig the floor whilst Mark hauled and Ivor got to once again show off his dry stone walling techniques, stacking the spoil at the first dogleg. The digging was fairly easy going, it wasn’t lovely dry large rocks but not too much required crow bar encouragement.

No one had a watch on so I have no idea how long we went on for, but we seemed to make a fair dint in the floor, I’d like to say we lowered the floor by half a metre, with the shaft being fairly wide at the moment as we prepare for a diagonal. One corner was fairly glued together by the trickle of water but otherwise the floor felt good. Still feels very fresh down there so that’s a positive.

Eventually we decided it was probably late and so headed for the exit. At the bottom of the entrance shaft we found a young pigeon, it was sat in a bucket absolutely exhausted and with no chance of being able to climb hard enough to fly out. This is not the first time we’ve had to rescue birds from the base of the shaft, with our last rescue being almost exactly a year ago,

http://www.butteredbadger.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=357:international-rescue&catid=45:eldon-dig-reports&Itemid=58

This time Mark had the duty of carrying the bird in his tackle sack, and we slowly made our way out. The bird seemed a little more spritely once we were at the surface and had rewarded Mark by leaving a deposit. We released it into a dry stone wall by the woods and who knows. We may have once against simply fed a fox, but whatever happens its better than another rotting corpse at the bottom of the shaft.

TomTom

Online Mark Wright

• obsessive maniac
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #420 on: November 02, 2016, 11:57:51 pm »
Due to one thing and another, summer expeditions, Mark R. moving house and laziness on my part, its been a good few months since anyone has been in the dig or done any more work on the entrance stabilisation.

We tried and failed to get things moving again last Wednesday but tonight we succeeded. The Eldon Hole project is officially underway again.

Mark Richardson, TomTom and me were down there tonight and managed to pull out a good few bucket loads from the sharp end. No draught tonight. We measured up for the next (and hopefully final) dogleg and next Wednesday evening should see a dozen scaffold tubes clanging their way down the entrance shaft and into the dig.

We will be meeting at 7pm every Wednesday at the top of Eldon Lane if anyone would like to join us. Bring an extra descender to make it easier to get through the re-belays with a couple of 2m tubes dangling underneath you.

Mark

Offline Mark

• forum hero
  • Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #421 on: November 03, 2016, 06:55:24 am »
Good to see that this one is up and running again, good effort chaps

Offline ANN

« Reply #422 on: November 10, 2016, 01:59:29 pm »
 :clap2:

Offline Goydenman

• Black Sheep Digger
  • junky
« Reply #423 on: November 10, 2016, 02:55:08 pm »
Great to hear you are back at this exciting dig - hope it progresses well for you

Online Mark Wright

• obsessive maniac
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #424 on: November 24, 2016, 09:51:10 am »
With most of the regulars coming up with feeble excuses to get out of the trip it left Mark Richardson and me to ferry 3 loads, (about 30m) of scaffolding to the entrance and then clang our way down the shaft with over 65kg dangling underneath us both.

All the tubes are now in the dig and ready for pushing ever downwards next week.

Mark