DCA Projects 2017 - Volunteer Request

Pete K

Firstly, thanks for looking!

The DCA has a number of projects on the list for 2017, some with a more pressing need than others. If I were to personally take on all these tasks it would be well into 2018 before anything was done. With having an increasingly busy work life right now, I see myself as more of a facilitator for a little while and so, I need to recruit some help.
I'd love to hear from you if you have the time to help with any of these projects. We are looking for all sorts of people; those with concreting and fabricating skills, those who are local and could take a project on and manage it to completion or those who simply have spare time and can carry stuff.

We are currently hoping to get the following jobs squared away asap:

Mouldridge Mine - Wooden gate frame is coming adrift from the stone walls. Likely solution will involve the need to drill holes through the timber frame and into the stone, then insert a long bolt held in place by resin. Both sides will require 2 bolts.

Devonshire Mine - There have been 2 shafts identified above the mine that the new landowners would like to see capped off. Weld or bolt a frame together to take a section of galvanised grill and concrete into place over shaft tops.

Eldon Hole - It's looking like we will not have a contractor finishing this job as planned any time soon. We either need someone who can fabricate stainless steel ground anchor stakes (x3) to knock in like the North Route or for a team to take up the 3 remaining heavy steel bollards and concrete them in.

More to follow in time no doubt. Any offers of help would be greatly appreciated, especially from anyone who is happy to take over and just get one of the jobs sorted. I can offer help all the way along, even if it is just from a keyboard. All materials and travel can be claimed back from DCA so no one should be out of pocket.
My email is on the DCA website.
Cheers
Pete Knight
DCA Projects Officer

owd git

Mouldridge nxt week Pete  (y)
Probably have time and a bod or two for The Dev'
if no-one else gets there first.
Ric',

Pete K

Fab Ric.
Do you know Phil Lilley from DCC? He's taking on the coordination of the Devonshire job as he has already been up to scope the job out. I can put you in touch if needed.

AR

I've already emailed Nige Atkins about helping with Devonshire, but as regards Mouldridge, can I suggest not resining in the bolts? I've got replacing the wood frame with steelwork on my lengthy to-do list....

Pete K

AR said:
I've already emailed Nige Atkins about helping with Devonshire, but as regards Mouldridge, can I suggest not resining in the bolts? I've got replacing the wood frame with steelwork on my lengthy to-do list....
Okay, can leave Mouldridge for now as it might hang on a bit longer until a steel frame can be made. Not sure how else to bolster the wood frame that would be removable.

Pete K

Also, Phil Lilley is taking on Devonshire for DCA. Shout if you need contact details.

alastairgott

Pete K said:
Okay, can leave Mouldridge for now as it might hang on a bit longer until a steel frame can be made. Not sure how else to bolster the wood frame that would be removable.

Not been to Mouldridge yet, but would it be possible to drive wedges of wood into each side of the frame between the rock and the wood frame? A bit like this? http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Wedge

"Applications
Any time you need to apply lift or separation force to something, they are ideal. e.g. lifting a door lining that has slipped down a little on one side. A pair of wedges can be driven under the lining such that they push it away from the floor. Another good example is when repairing a joist that has been notched, and you want a really tight fitting plug of wood to patch the missing section so as to restore the compressive strength of the top of the joist."

AR

Given the age of the frame, I'm not sure that would be a good idea. I'll try and get out there soon and see what can be done as a temporary measure, I need to measure up for a new frame anyway. I'm also thinking of mounting some gas struts on it to make it easier to open and shut!

Madness

AR said:
Given the age of the frame, I'm not sure that would be a good idea. I'll try and get out there soon and see what can be done as a temporary measure, I need to measure up for a new frame anyway. I'm also thinking of mounting some gas struts on it to make it easier to open and shut!

I've only been to Mouldridge once and that was 29 years ago, so I need to ask, does the gate lift up rather than open like a door?

If it does and it needs a new frame then why not modify it to make it open conventionally?

owd git

yup.  (y) keep flap. as a door/ thing that opens sideways,  (y)
too much enginering may be unnessssssicccry(never too sure about how any c's & s,s to use, delete as necccccc essssssary)
txt Adam if you have a plan. (y) Ric'.

Pete K

The 'cat-flap' was a specified design from the landowner owner too IIRC. Heavy so no sheep could push through.

Madness

Pete K said:
The 'cat-flap' was a specified design from the landowner owner too IIRC. Heavy so no sheep could push through.

If you off set the hinges on the side (like a modern bridle gate) it will self close. If it opens outwards and closes against a stop, no sheep will be able to push through

Pete K

There are plenty of ways the gate can be redesigned but that is down to PDMHS and the landowner to decide. I'll leave it in AR's hands for now.

Pete K

I find myself in need of a 4x4 and driver to help drop off some lengths of scaffolding this Sunday (29th) near Monyash. You'll be driving half a mile on flat/gentle grassland that is beyond a car but easy for a Freelander/Landrover etc...

The job will take an hour or you can hang around for the day and join the team on the job.  Can anyone help?