Want to do more in the Mendips

N

New Phil

I have been doing odd little trips for the last year. Started with Goat church using hand torches then did the upper series of swildons a couple of times and then ended up guessing my way to sump one a couple of months ago. I had been told lots of times that I couldn't go wrong and you really can't.

I got lucky this weekend and the cap'n chris was around to offer that much needed bit of support to get through the sump.

Next I want to go back to Goat church and do the lower series.
I have a ladder, rope, harness and a basic belay. What else do I need?
What should you pitch? what should you free climb?

Thanks

graham

I suspect that the first thing you need is a decent guidebook, there are no pitches in Goatchurch!

This is a 3D view of the cave:

goats.jpg

B

BenM

Blinkin Flip.. that looks, err.. complicated!! :eek: (I'm sure its not though (y))

Phil, PM if you are up for a trip on Saturday... it may be to the wet bit of GB... it may not! Depends on tommorow.

I've been down Goatchurch once looking for eggs!... Shouldn't get lost though - and if you do, follow a Scout group! ; I didn't think there was a pitch in there though!  :unsure: A bit of a look around the place before freshers turn up may be handy as well.. (for me)

mrodoc

Where did that 3 d survey come from and is it a plan or section (plan I think) - and couldn't it do with labelling?

graham

mrodoc said:
Where did that 3 d survey come from and is it a plan or section (plan I think) - and couldn't it do with labelling?
Its an angled view section, it came from data collected by the lovely Cap'n Chris and others and it's work in progress hence the lack of labelling.

footleg

graham said:
Its an angled view section, it came from data collected by the lovely Cap'n Chris and others and it's work in progress hence the lack of labelling.

What program was used to render it? Was it Therion? I am looking for a better way to render my surveys from Matienzo for the talk at Hidden Earth next month.

D

Dep

New Phil said:

You won't need any of these things. All of the 'pitches' in GC are easy free-climbs suitable for children.
I'd take a book to read though whilst you wait for the various youth groups to pass.

graham

footleg said:
graham said:

What program was used to render it? Was it Therion? I am looking for a better way to render my surveys from Matienzo for the talk at Hidden Earth next month.

That was rendered by CaveX, it's "Compass" data.

N

New Phil

This evening I got to the real top of the 40ft, in swildons and ab'ed down. It's a nice little detour.

Dep said:
New Phil said:

You won't need any of these things. All of the 'pitches' in GC are easy free-climbs suitable for children.
I'd take a book to read though whilst you wait for the various youth groups to pass.

If it doesn't need anything then I will do it tommorow with the g/f. Then maybe have a bit more of an explore in Swildons.

I will be at the wessex on saturday though and will be up for anything that someone wants to suggest. What sort of time, does PM mean 12:01, or 5

cheers

N

New Phil

Ok,

So what else should I do?
I'm looking for suggestions of caves I don't know.

whitelackington

New Phil said:
Ok,

So what else should I do?
I'm looking for suggestions of caves I don't know.

An absolute corker  :beer: 
for  semi-beginners Tyning's Barrows Swallet.
It is about the twelfth
longest mendip cave but root finding is just follow the stream to the bottom, three tiny ladders.
Cave costs about a quid, pay David Reakes or his missus in Tyning's Farm

cap n chris

You might want to use a full size ladder, especially for the laddery bits. Tiny ones won't be much use, I reckon.

Elaine

Yes, the entrance needs a 10m one if you are bad and twist it through the little hole so that is does both bits of the pitch (no, very bad practise, take 2 x 7.5m ones). The other little pitch may only be about 12ft, but the belay point is about 100yards back up the passageway. IIRC Whitelackington put it there. It was the closest he could find any bedding more than a few milimetres thick.

cap n chris

There is/are natural belays in the stream bed for rigging Pyramid Pot - a ladder is a bit overkill for this since with a double rope it's an easy hand over hand climb as there are a couple of superb footholds once you get 1m off the deck.

Les W

cap 'n chris said:
There is/are natural belays in the stream bed for rigging Pyramid Pot - a ladder is a bit overkill for this since with a double rope it's an easy hand over hand climb as there are a couple of superb footholds once you get 1m off the deck.

I would go as far as saying it is an easy(ish) free climb although somewhat exposed.  8)