Bear Grylls on tv

Gemma

Hello. I haven't posted for years due to a recent lack of caving activity but have just watched Bear Grylls on ITV in the Dales. Argh! How was that responsible caving? It is totally giving out the wrong message in my opinion. Not wearing a helmet and going underground in dreadful weather and then describing the 'just escaped in time' feeling as an 'adventure.' Is he not the head of the Scouts? Shouldn't there be some role modelling here? I am feeling very cross!

cap n chris

Apparently the man is the Cock of all Cockdom, as some would have it. Not having a TV and hence being Bearless I cannot comment personally.

RobinGriffiths

It's just a brand though isn't it. If I could find the Viz article, I'd post again about Grylls killing and skinning Mears, before making his skin into a canoe to cross the river to get to the local KFC.

Yep got me ranting at the TV as well, so much so that I've just written a grumpy old women email to ITV and Bear:

"Dear ITV and Bear Grylls,

I just have to register a complaint about last night's BBA (episode 2).  I am all for encouraging people to get active, and get out into our wonderful countryside to explore, but last night's program was totally irresponsible showing Bear abseiling and caving without the correct equipment.

I was brought up through the Brownies/Guides/Scouts and was always taught to "Be Prepared".  This means using the correct equipment, and making sure it is safe to undertake an activity before starting out.

Bear and the climber he was with should have been wearing a helmet when at Malham cove - Bear himself pointed out that the some of the rock on the cliff was loose, and with Bear, the climbing team and a filming team all dangling around on the cliff I expect the chance of rock fall would be even higher than normal.  I don't care if the climber doesn't routinely use a helmet when he is on his own (I know many don't), but when on TV they should be setting a good example and being safe.

The caving trip to Long Churn was even worse.  Once again Bear acknowledged that the cave was flood-prone, and that people had died there previously after being caught out.  The first thing you learn when caving is to check the weather forecast, and you don't go into a cave like Long Churn in bad weather.  When we do go caving, it is important to be correctly dressed to avoid hypothemia.  Bear should be setting a good example, and demonstrating to people that all these activities are exciting, but you should be properly equipped.  By naming the cave it will be so easy for people to google it, find out where it is, and follow in his footsteps - "Bear did it in his normal clothes with a torch in his hand so it must be OK".

I am so disapointed in this program, please stop and think about the possible consequences if someone decides to go and try to copy what Bear did without the proper knowledge and equipment.  It doen't matter if you have a disclaimer at the start of the program - most people will ignore that or miss it anyway.  Bear should be an ambassador, and always set a good example, not just play up the dramatic side to make good TV."

I wonder whether the CRO might consider also registering a complaint?  It may have more weight coming from an official organisation.

Oceanrower

FFS why can't people realise that it's tv. IT'S NOT REAL!

Do people really think that Jezza and his mates really built a hovercraft out of a Transit or a bamboo bridge across a river that may or may not have been the right one?

I very much doubt that there was an equivalent thread on ukbridgeconstructors.com complaining that if kids tried it they could DIE!!!!!!

It's just entertainment. Get over it.

Rhys

cavegirl99 said:
I wonder whether the CRO might consider also registering a complaint?  It may have more weight coming from an official organisation.

I really hope CRO don't register a complaint. They're a rescue organisation, not a cave safety advisory body. As a rule, they don't get involved in nannying and telling people when, where and how to cave.

Oceanrower said:
FFS why can't people realise that it's tv. IT'S NOT REAL!

Do people really think that Jezza and his mates really built a hovercraft out of a Transit or a bamboo bridge across a river that may or may not have been the right one?

I very much doubt that there was an equivalent thread on ukbridgeconstructors.com complaining that if kids tried it they could DIE!!!!!!

It's just entertainment. Get over it.

I do know it isn't real, because I'm a caver and I know better, but your average Jo Bloggs may not.  At least on Top Gear they make them wear safety equipment when they do stupid stunts.  And Jeremy Clarkson doesn't try to pretend to be a responsible role model.

Oceanrower

And if you weren't a caver you would still know better.

Because most (maybe not all, but Darwin would probably play a part here) realise that it's not real and that's not how things happen.

Because most people really aren't that stupid and accept that it's entertainment not a documentary.

Also, I realy have to agree with Rhys that the last thing we want is any CRO getting offucially involved. That way lies legislation rather than the freedom we have now!

PaulW

Oceanrower said:
And if you weren't a caver you would still know better.
No you wouldn't

last weekend I was near the exit of a popular wet cave, and met 3 people dressed in shorts and a tshirt with no shoes on, but one did have a woolly hat carry torches in plastic bags, and already wet
My first question to them was had they been caving before?
The answer was as I expected, at which point they decided to about turn and exit the cave

crickleymal

It's nothing new. Back in the 1980s  I encountered a group of cubs leaving Old Ham iron mine. The only head protection were berets stuffed with newspaper.

Roger W

I missed the programme.

Didn't Bear catch and skin a couple of rabbits or something to make himself some head protection?

cavemanmike

the cavers that lent a hand are as bad, they should have just left him to his own devises . now that might have been more ENTERTAINING . you notice most of there faces were off camera  :LOL: :LOL: