Longest Crawl in the UK?

Bob Mehew

I have just seen an enquiry asking is it true that "ANYTIME A CRAWL MUST BE SUSTAINED FROM 100 YARDS, IT?S CONSIDERED HIGHLY RISKY."  (Sorry for the caps but I can't be arsed to retype it.)  Answer - utter crap but it prompted the thought - what is the longest crawl in the UK?  I will now go away and hide.  :LOL:

Madness

Another question is:- Are some styles of crawling more risky than others? ;)  Have you done any research on this Bob?

Personally I find the classic 'hands and knees' style very risky...

...to my knees!

tim.rose2

Sandy hole on Portland - ammonite passage.  I believe the current known end requires 5 hours crawling each way.

Bob Mehew

Distances please.

I have had privately suggested to me by a wilting butterfly (or sane lurker) - Perfidia in Dalebarn 3 at 600m with no where to go at the end bar turn round and retreat.

ChrisJC

How long is the entrance crawl in Daren Cilau?, or is that not considered small enough to be a crawl?

Chris.

Les W

Oceanrower said:
I'm with Tim Rose on this one!

Me too.  (y)
Ammonite passage is given as about 1000m in "The Caves of the Isle of Portland"...
If anybody wants some glory then I believe the way on is wide open at the limit of exploration...  :unsure:

Pitlamp

crickleymal said:
George Osborne to China.  ;)

Don't you think we've had enough of politics on this forum at the moment?  ;)

I agree with Simon Beck; Mossdale is just as gruelling as when it was first explored. Not a place to be undertaken lightly.

Over the Hill

Dale Barn Cave was "interesting" crawling in its early exploration days (HWCPC/NCC). Mainly as you had already passed the tight 1st sump in zero viz and then had to crawl with your diving kit and bottle to pass the next sump (and back of course).

All subject to severe flooding and no back entrance then.  :coffee:

PeteHall

Simon Beck said:
There are no-doubt many far far longer, but few that would challenge the average caver like those in Mossdale..

I believe Sandy Hole is one of the few that might! As Les points out, the end is apparently wide open, nobody has pushed it any further due to the extreme remoteness and risk of flooding.

Perhaps you're due a holiday south Simon ;)