Solo Caving - Should we?

Ian Adams

Sometimes I have a mooch underground by myself (caves and mines) ....

Some of my (caving) buddies tell me this is strictly a "no-no" whilst others seem to think it is perfectly ok.

Of course I leave details of where I am, expected time out, where my car is (and licence plate) and a few other bits and bobs with my wife and I don't take any "risks" (I guess that could be a moot point).

I also spend time wandering around hills and footpaths alone (I leave the same details with my wife) but no one considers this a risk.

But what's the real story .... is caving solo acceptable?

:-\

Ian

pwhole

I've only done it a few times, mainly due to expediency rather than any desperate need to be on my own, and always when someone knew where I was. But two of those trips have produced excellent results, in that I exceeded my own expectations about my ability, and also found a bit of new passage into the bargain. The other aspect of being on my own that I found worthwhile was absolute concentration on what was around me - having the time and space to actually look at the problem in detail without distraction. So whilst I wouldn't recommend it, I certainly have enjoyed the few times I've done it.

NewStuff

I would, but the other half would lose the plot in a huge way.

I've explained the odds of us all getting stuck inside somewhere are the same as just me getting stuck, without considering that I would naturally be more cautious when solo, but this is to no avail.

When I analysed my caving trips over the years I found that, despite many, many trips in the company of others, a not insignificant number had also been solo trips in part or in their entirety.

All that is required is the confidence to be alone in the underground environment and to be content with your own company for a reasonable amount of time.

Diving in caves in almost always a 'solo'  experience for at least a part of the time, even when others are diving in the cave at the same time.

Alex

Provided you are experienced and know your limits, i.e. you can cave without needing someone else, then its fine. I always find I take less risks while I am alone so I reckon its safer and sometimes if you are doing photography stuff (without models) its the best way to go as you can go at your own pace. Or indeed you want to do a blast through a cave like Dow to Prov at a fast pace then you can do that too without anyone slowing you down.

Duncan S

Totally agree with the responses so far.
I used to go into the mountains on my own all the time and loved it.
But I've only done a tiny handful of solo caving trips. Almost spiritual experiences.
Something very special about being in your own thoughts in a cave. One trip was exploring with a camera where I did almost nothing except appreciate where I was and just me being me. Another trip was a fitness trip and pushed myself to the edge of what I could sustain for a couple of hours and taught me a lot about my body.

Yes, solo caving is a risk and more than usual care is needed. Yes, it shouldn't be the normal way to go caving. No, I would never recommend it to anyone. But I do believe I learned a lot from it and would do it again.

Kenilworth

Duncan S said:
...No, I would never recommend it to anyone.

You just did...

Something very special about being in your own thoughts in a cave. One trip was exploring with a camera where I did almost nothing except appreciate where I was and just me being me. Another trip was a fitness trip and pushed myself to the edge of what I could sustain for a couple of hours and taught me a lot about my body.

These are among the very good reasons to cave alone.
Whether or not it is "acceptable" is a question I've never concerned myself with, but I do a lot of solo caving and solo survey, which is very rewarding if challenging. I spent fifteen days alone last January, walking and surveying, without communication of my plans or whereabouts to my wife or anyone else, and while I was right lonesome by the end, that was one of the most enjoyable and productive times I've spent outdoors. Solo caving is a very different thing, in my view, than caving with companions, and I would recommend that every caver with much experience at least try it in a reasonable setting.

Fulk

I've done very little solo caving, but what I have done I found thoroughly enjoyable; as has been said, being alone underground is a very special feeling, and the capacity to go at your own pace and do what you want are the best features.

topcat

Most of my solo trips are SRT and the only draw back is that there is nobody to help carry the tackle.  Having to ferry loads along crawls is 'character-building'  :)

Mind you, I do tire of my own company after a while; the conversation is a bit boring.  I do prefer to cave with a happy crowd of club cavers.

caving_fox

Whilst I've never been entirely sole, there have been a few (increasingly common) occasions I'll go off from my team to explore a bit on my own. This varies from 10 minutes to see where it goes, to a couple of hours when our trip goals have been very different. You certainly need to be more prepared! Navigation and hazard perception are really at the forefront of your mind, with no-one to offer advice or encouragement (or distractions and unhelpful comments). For anyone who is "sufficiently"* experienced, then yes I'd accept it!

* this means not getting it wrong.

royfellows

This is an interesting thread!

Well, I am a mine explorer rather than caving and are nearly always underground on my own, and this this includes work shifts of up to 8 hours.

A one time I was being continually warned about it not not now, maybe they all give up on me.

To evaluate the risk. Well in some respects is safer. One of my beefs with groups is that the group sets the pace and you have to adapt. I hate being with a group who are rushing along as though they have an appointment somewhere, this is a good recipe for an accident to my thinking. I like to set my own pace.

For a solo explorer to go with a group and experience a pitch hangup is a real new one I can tell you.

I also think one is at less risk solo underground as long as someone knows where you are, than say solo fell walking. I hate to think what would happen if one falls into an overgrown rain cutting and breaks something with rescuers having miles of open fell to cover.

Anyway, been doing it over 30 years and still here.

Goydenman

I too love my times solo caving including solo digging. Usually have 2-3 lights and time out/call back home agreed. The first time I started doing it I kept hearing noises like the sound of people in the cave and no one there but now used to the natural noises in caves. Caving in groups and solo are so different and each have something special to offer. I would not be without my occasional solo trips

Paul Smith

I see no issue with soloing of any kind. In fact over the years I have done solo trips in the mountains - walking, scrambling and climbing in both summer and winter conditions. Solo ski tours and solo scuba dives, I've done solo trips down white water (up to and including grade 4) rivers in kayaks and canoes and I have also explored underground in both mines and caves (probably my area of least experience).

As with everything it is all about measuring risk and adjusting what I am doing appropriately - its pretty rare for me to be doing this activities at my physical and mental limit when I'm on my own. But when guiding in both the mountains and on the rivers, I'm often working with individuals, who have little skill in the environment that we are in, and so in effect I am 'soloing' with others around me, having to make decisions on my own safety while still managing the risk for them.

Being in groups often gives people a sense of security that often isn't there - look at some of the more common mountain activities such as skiing and have a look at the work done on Heuristics traps there.

PeteHall

Most near misses I have had caving have been the result of someone in my group (occasionally me) doing something stupid.

Less people = less chance of someone doing something stupid = safer  (y)

Obviously the safest is nobody caving, but since that would be a bit dull from a caving point of view, the next best would be solo caving.

Paul Smith said:
Being in groups often gives people a sense of security that often isn't there

As it happens, I had a small breakthrough at a dig on Saturday in an unstable boulder choke; I very carefully made my way through and back out on my own. After a cup of tea, I went back in with A.N.Other and immediately felt enough confidence to start digging the next bit. Needless to say a huge boulder decided to make a bid for freedom and we were very lucky to get out unscathed. I would NEVER have done that on my own!

Alex

Less people = less chance of someone doing something stupid = safer  (y)

Yes I was once unfortunate enough to lead a trip through Dan-yr-ogof to camp and out prices dig. I say unfortunate because there were 13 people on the trip. I really did not want to do this trip with that many, but try as I might to convince people to only come half way or do another cave they would not listen. In the end the inevitable happened and someone got hurt, unfortunately that someone was me! After the person behind me dislodged a huge boulder, which I managed to dodge but went flat on my face into a pile of boulders. Thankfully there was only 2 hours of caving left (we were just beyond the antlers) and despite limping I was still moving faster than the slowest in the group. I had to keep going despite how much my hip hurt as I was the only one who knew the blooming way! (It could have been a serious/life threatening injury, I now know having since done cas-care and I should not have risked moving but oh well)

I now avoid doing trips when there is more than 5 if I can.

I do it when I have to (no one else has the time off or is interested in what I am doing) but it's nicer caving with other people just for the laughs.  I tend to have done a lot of research on a trip before I go and am much more cautious with regards weather and route finding.

Also, I do the odd bit of diving and I guess that helps as you spend your time underwater solo, so I am quite used to that feeling of being "alone".

It's quite nice being on your own in the quiet BUT much better to have people to lark about with assuming you are all on the same wavelength.

droid

Is solo caving acceptable?

Of course it is. it isn't for everyone, and it's not a decision one should take lightly, but it's an experience totally unlike caving with a group, for the reasons so eloquently put in the responses above.