Rowter Hole- Now Bolted

Mark R

Over the course of three very long and fairly punnishing trips, Rowter Hole extensions have now been fully resin bolted. In total, 68 anchors were placed and all pre- existing rigging removed. The cave is now 'ready for use'.

We will publish a rigging topo in due course but need to arrange a trip for accurate rope length measurements. (If anyone is keen to help out with this/ do it then please let me know).

In the meantime, my best guess for a trip to the end will require ropes of:
Main shaft 70m
Gin shaft- 15m
Badger rift- 10m
Two Left Wellies- 50m
Milky Relief- 35m
Bottom of Orechasm- 50m

All hand lines in the Icecream trail are left in situ
All up pitches into the top of the Orechasm and Hourglass aven, up the slopes to Breathless and Sunrise are newly rigged on fresh ropes (160+m of rope!)
All deviations are left in situ
The catch nets in Hourglass Aven have also been emptied but there is still loose rock around so be careful.
To get to the bottom of the orechasm you will need around 30-35 connectors.

As I said above, this is a guess- so please be cautious.

pwhole

Wonderful work - well done. Hopefully a trip beyond the Wizard's Sleeve (my current limit) can be done before too long then.

MarkS

It's worth noting that the previously extremely awkward pitch-head at the top of the Orechasm can now probably be described as just moderately awkward with the new higher anchors. It's a good time to visit with all the fixed ropes being new!

A_Northerner

I'm keen to do the trip - but I'm not free until after the 20th Jan, if you get a chance to do it before then then by all means go but after then I'll be glad to come along.

skippy

Fantastic effort...well done folks (y) I still 'dine out' on my trip to the bottom of the Chrystal Orechasm and consider it to be my favourite trip of 2015.
Glenn.

chunky

Fantastic job. Many thanks to everyone involved.

I look forward to doing the main shaft, watching as the lesser cake eaters are swallowed in to the bowels of the Peak District and waddle back up for refreshments whilst awaiting their return  (y)

Simon Wilson

Mark R said:
Over the course of three very long and fairly punnishing trips, Rowter Hole extensions have now been fully resin bolted. In total, 68 anchors were placed...

What type of anchors and what type of resin?

Mark R

I'd  just like to take this opportunity to say a big thanks to the BCA Equipment and Techniques Committee for the equipment we used and for the BCA for the training and for offering to pay travel and other expenses.
Finally, thanks also to CAN Geotechnical for letting us borrow some kit for the bolting!

Mark R

Mark R said:
for the BCA for the training and for offering to pay travel and other expenses

Typo there- it's the DCA who trained us and are paying the expenses

Alex

I wonder why CNCC do not do the same thing?. I would happily be trained to do it provided they paid for I, which apparently they don't only the BCA pays for the bolts.

Simon Wilson

Mark R said:
Mark R said:
for the BCA for the training and for offering to pay travel and other expenses

Typo there- it's the DCA who trained us and are paying the expenses

On the other thread Mark Wright implied that the BCA paid ?1000 for the anchors in Rowter. Is that correct?

Mark Wright

What I actually said was:

I doubt re-bolting Rowter Hole would have been done if the BCA hadn?t funded it. The digging and climbing project cost over ?2,000 in materials and access fees and another ?1,000 for anchors would have broken the club?s bank.

If the Badgers had been expected to buy all the 68 anchors and the resin themselves it would have cost about ?1,000.00

Mark

andrewmcleod

Alex said:
I wonder why CNCC do not do the same thing?. I would happily be trained to do it provided they paid for I, which apparently they don't only the BCA pays for the bolts.

Whatever happened to the volunteer spirit? :p

(having said that I guess I should volunteer down whichever bit of the South I decide I am really in - Mendips/Devon - next time there is a bolting thing...)

(unless you actually have to _pay_ for the training itself rather than just expenses?)

Simon Wilson

Mark Wright said:

I doubt re-bolting Rowter Hole would have been done if the BCA hadn?t funded it. The digging and climbing project cost over ?2,000 in materials and access fees and another ?1,000 for anchors would have broken the club?s bank.

If the Badgers had been expected to buy all the 68 anchors and the resin themselves it would have cost about ?1,000.00

Mark

Did the DCA receive ?1000 for Rowter Hole anchors? If not ?1000, how much did they receive?

Mark Wright

Simon Wilson said:
Mark Wright said:

Mark

Did the DCA receive ?1000 for Rowter Hole anchors? If not ?1000, how much did they receive?

You are losing me now. Did the DCA receive ?1000 for Rowter Hole anchors from whom?

The DCA supplied all the anchors, resin and installation equipment. If we had decided that Rowter needed e.g. Petzl Collinox anchors instead of BP anchors then we would have had to go to a shop and buy everything ourselves at a cost of about ?1000.

Mark