The Scottish Question..

cavermark

Does CROW apply in Scotland?
Will any changes affect access to Scottish caves?  (Presumably Scottish cavers who are BCA members will be getting a vote?)

Bob Mehew

cavermark said:
Does CROW apply in Scotland?
Will any changes affect access to Scottish caves?  (Presumably Scottish cavers who are BCA members will be getting a vote?)
The far sighted GSG actually spoke for CRoW applying to caves in the consultation period before the 2003 act which dealt with Scotland.  The act specifically states "Access rights are exercisable above and below (as well as on) the surface of the land." 

And for those who might wish to know, Northern Ireland has no equivalent legislation.

Simon Wilson

damian said:
cavermark said:
(Presumably Scottish cavers who are BCA members will be getting a vote?)
Yes.

Damian, Bob and anyone else, how does the voting system work? Is there a system of weighting? Does the vote from the CNCC count for more than the vote from my club and more than my individual vote? If so, by exactly how much?

When we were told it was a ballot of all members I expect the vast majority of members would have assumed it was all individuals and only individuals. It was our club AGM on Saturday and nobody in our club had any idea that we had a club vote.

Simon Wilson, EPC elected CNCC representative.

Bob Mehew

Simon Wilson said:
When we were told it was a ballot of all members I expect the vast majority of members would have assumed it was all individuals and only individuals. It was our club AGM on Saturday and nobody in our club had any idea that we had a club vote.
I don't believe anyone in an official BCA position used the word 'ballot'.  The word used at Council was poll.  I understand BCA's Exec have made a decision on how the poll will work.  I won't guess it.

Mark Wright

I too assumed the ballot/poll was for all INDIVIDUAL members, not the clubs or regional councils. This was clarified on ukCaving not so long ago. I'm sure there was no mention of club votes. My club hasn't carried out a ballot/poll of its members regarding a club vote.

Mark

Simon Wilson

Because everybody involved should have known how the voting system was to work before even deciding to have a poll/ballot.

damian

As I have just posted on another thread, the poll is a poll of all BCA's members (apart from Associate members). This includes Group and Individual members since they are "members". Each member has one vote with something over 6,000 voting papers distributed. In effect this means group votes (about 165 in total) are largely irrelevant, but to have conducted a poll of our members without including some of our members would have been most odd!

Damian Weare
BCA Secretary

Simon Wilson

damian said:
As I have just posted on another thread, the poll is a poll of all BCA's members (apart from Associate members). This includes Group and Individual members since they are "members". Each member has one vote with something over 6,000 voting papers distributed. In effect this means group votes (about 165 in total) are largely irrelevant, but to have conducted a poll of our members without including some of our members would have been most odd!

Damian Weare
BCA Secretary

Would have been most odd? Maybe it is largely irrelevant but it seems to me that it should not be a poll of all members but a poll of all individual members.

McMole

I opened this thread up anticipating that 'The West Lothian Question' beloved of Tam Dayell and other politicians had reared its head - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Lothian_question  :eek:
I see it hasn't, for which we should be grateful (but Scottish cavers may decide that they shouldn't vote on issues that apply only south of the border). I suggest that the easiest solution for clubs pondering how they are going to poll their members on how to cast their club vote is to abstain and save all the hassle.

Simon Wilson

McMole said:
I opened this thread up anticipating that 'The West Lothian Question' beloved of Tam Dayell and other politicians had reared its head - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Lothian_question  :eek:
I see it hasn't, for which we should be grateful (but Scottish cavers may decide that they shouldn't vote on issues that apply only south of the border). I suggest that the easiest solution for clubs pondering how they are going to poll their members on how to cast their club vote is to abstain and save all the hassle.

My fellow northerner, the CNCC does not recognize the border. :beer:

Bob Mehew

Simon Wilson said:
I will declare an interest, I am a member of GSG. 

It is true that CNCC covers all caves north of some line (which is roughly Liverpool to Hull but please don't quote me) which covers Scotland.  So the GSG is a full member of CNCC.  (I presume it does stop somewhere and not include places like Iceland and the Fareo Islands.)

Many Scottish cavers cave in the Dales and places other than just Scotland.  Indeed a sizable percentage of the GSG membership are Mendip based.  So why should they not give their individual views? 

Simon Wilson

Bob Mehew said:
Simon Wilson said:
I will declare an interest, I am a member of GSG. 

It is true that CNCC covers all caves north of some line (which is roughly Liverpool to Hull but please don't quote me) which covers Scotland.  So the GSG is a full member of CNCC.  (I presume it does stop somewhere and not include places like Iceland and the Fareo Islands.)

Many Scottish cavers cave in the Dales and places other than just Scotland.  Indeed a sizable percentage of the GSG membership are Mendip based.  So why should they not give their individual views?

The CNCC is open to clubs in the "North of Britain". 'Britain' is an officially recognized shortening for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland so membership is open to any club in Scotland and Northern Ireland. The constitution does not say where the North begins and lines that have been mentioned in the past were just inventions convenient at the time.

cavermark

McMole said:

I was making a cheeky nod towards the west lothian question - well spotted.

My answer, like Bob's is that many scottish cavers cave all over the UK (and vice versa) so they certainly have a right to an opinion and a vote.  (y)