Diggle Wigglepit

mark86_02

Hi all

I posted here in 2009 about the mystical cave above Diggle (Lancashire) Still no luck finding it!

Just wondered if anyone had any new information on the cave - or anyone could post a picture of the entrance - or if anyone fancied walking upto the entrance with me and my mate??? - In exchange for Beer ofcourse!

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Mark

nigel n

Mark

I would be happy to show you the place sometime.  We are in Buxton, about an hour away from Saddleworth.  Alternatively I could probably send you a fairly detailed description of how to get there

Regards

Nigel

Pitlamp

Hello Mark - my earlier offer to put you in touch with the person who wrote the excellent article (with survey) in MSG Journal 8 still stands, if you PM your proper email address to me.

Beardy, who sometimes posts on this forum, could probably help - you could try sending him a PM?

I've just checked the Northern Caves database and the updated (and more precise) grid reference given is SE 01763 07592 - this is for the lower entrance. It says the altitude is 362 m (so map contours might give another useful clue).

Best of luck.

mark86_02

Thanks all!

Sorry Pitlamp for my delayed (3 years) reply!!! Its terrible of me! I totally forgot and lost interest in the diggle wigglepit! but my friend took me back up there in search last weekend and inspired me to find the hole!

Nigel N Yes that would be good!

Thanks all!

Mark

nigel n

Here are some directions:
From Uppermill follow Church Road from the square.  The church is passed on the left after a mile but the road continues, curving left past the Cross Keys pub (excellent) to a right angled junction with Brownhill Lane after another half mile.  Park here.  Walk north east up a grassy high walled track for about half a mile to a quarry (known as the first quarry!).  The quarries are known as Running hill pits, and were constructed in three rows.  Those on the middle row are popular with climbers.  Lower down the hill is a row of four, from left to right the fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth quarries.  The cave is in the sixth.  Start by following the wall downhill towards the top end of Diggle (with the wall on your left) ; bear away from it after a hundred yards or so and you should end up in the sixth. The cave is on the right wall at ground level and looks like the picture.  There should be a rope in place on one of the routes to the lowest level.

If you cant find it drop me a line and we'll sort something out.  Good luck.

Nigel

dunc

Just in case you've not been yet, some extra details; as per Nigels description follow walled track, where the wall disappears on the right the first quarry is encountered, a short distance further on you'll find yourself in the second obvious quarry, the wall/fence on the left veers sharp left, there is a hint of a path heading this way too. Follow wall/fence as it starts to head downhill, as it gets steeper you'll reach a track running left-right (new-ish looking) turn right on the track and a very short distance you'll be in the right quarry and on the right is the Wigglepit:
6864363546_e8aa4a219a.jpg
- picture of the entrances taken from higher up on the opposite side of the quarry.

TimCurwen

Me and mark86_02 found this today! - Truly is a tight squeeze!

At the bottom of the pitch is two very old looking bolt with two rusted krabs attached. Just wondering if this used to lead anywhere? Did the pitch carry on further but collapsed?

nigel n

Tim

Do you mean the bottom of the internal pitch which descends a chimney like feature?  I left an old rope on this pitch a couple of years ago to replace the previous washing line!
The old MSG survey suggests a depth of about 20m which would be be about right for the current extent of the hole.
It was first explored by Tony Howard in the late 1950's - he is still around and active as far as I know.
Fairyholes, behind Alderman Hill overlooking the Holmfirth Road is also worth a look.  There is a 19th century survey showing that this was once much deeper  - you can see signs of where the collapse occurred.  So there s a chance that the wigglepit has  moved as well but it seems unlikely that this has been in the last 40 years or so.

TheMunky

Hey, I understand this is an old thread but i'm hoping to find somebody who has been inside of the diggle wiggle pit and if they could give me a little bit of information;

I went inside the diggle wiggle pit and I had taken a few pictures, I never managed to do the "wiggle" part though, is this it?
150772_657277264417800_7964995791973110972_n.jpg

and if that is it, where do you go at the end of it? I tried to squeeze in, I managed to get quite far in but couldn't see an exit, it just looked like a dead end to me, I didn't want to get stuck so I turned back.

Would love to visit there again and finally do the wiggle.