New club in County Durham

Wormy

We are a group of guys from derwent side/Weardale who are mad about caves and old mines, we've prospected about 80% of the stuff in our local area and as we're all BCA members and there hasn't been a Durham caving club for at least 50 years we're getting organised and legitimately forming a club, are there any people that would be interested in joining?

blackshiver

You know as well as I do that Moldy's does not have a consitution, has no meets list, no officers and no subs. Perhaps that's why it's been going for over 50 years and is still going as strong as ever. Oh and it's a bit like hotel California......nobody leaves.

Blakethwaite

If these lads are young perhaps they should join MSG... It might bring the average age down to about the same as the Eagles'...

JAA

There were the "Quaking Cavers" in Darlington I think if I've got the name right.. Tony Harrison and his brother mostly I think.

JAA

There's certainly a Swaledale Outdoor Club who are or at least were very active. Not that I'm trying to put you off starting your own club! Good luck with it :)

Wormy

Well it looks like we have a good 10 to 15 definite members so far, all BCA registered but with varying levels of experience. Fingers crossed this is going to work.  We did look at joining various clubs but all of the meets where at least a couple of hours drive away, we have some interesting caves and hundreds of mines (we keep finding more) on our doorstep so it seemed the next logical step.

Blakethwaite

Nice one! We did the same in a similarly under-represented area a few years back & it made life so much easier regarding digging permissions etc with a club name behind you.

Wormy

Well if anyones interested we're now up and running, find us on facebook under 'Derwentside cave and mine club'

richardg

There is an apparently large and very active club called the Durham Cave and Mine Group...Been going for many years.......

However if your seeking the thrill of new exploration and getting your name up there in neon lights there is only one group to consider in the region the fabled MSG! with about half a century of virtually continuous discoveries to their credit.....

Good to see a new club up and running. The reason that DOC formed all those years ago was that existing clubs were full of old grunters (like me!) and had all the access sewn up (we just hoisted the jolly roger).

Wormy

DCMC havent been around that long Richard, I was a nearly founder member, as in I was there at the start and then left due to lack of interest in mines.  Im mooching about under the msg banner now!  I still cave with a couple of the guys from the DCMC and NYMCC and MSG. Out every weekend and a couple of nights a week during the summer if your interested?  Mostly looking for new stuff or pushing known caves to see if there's any way further on.