Changes to the Boards

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
As you may have spotted, the Boards on UKC have been updated.

Hopefully the changes will be self explanatory - however any problems/comments, please let us know here.

Do let us know of any problems you encounter - particularly with searching for older topics/posts etc.

Eventually the club boards will be archived (or active ones moved), however I'm in the process of contacting all of the Clubs so that may take some time.

Thank you to the many forum members who helped us decide on the changes  (y)

Inferus

Oooh eck, I'm lost.. Might take a little bit of getting used to but some interesting boards!  (y)
Time, will of course, be the true test.

mikem

Are 41 forums & 3 sub-forums (without even looking at the club ones) really necessary? There aren't that many posts per day are there?

Mike

mikem

UKClimbing only has 22 & UKRivers 24 (plus 8 private sales sub-forums for the different canoeing disciplines), both with bigger user numbers than UKCaving...

Mike

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
mikem said:
Are 41 forums & 3 sub-forums (without even looking at the club ones) really necessary? There aren't that many posts per day are there?

Mike

It does seem a lot, especially compared to the number of boards for other sports, but yes, they do seem to be necessary.  Once a particular board has been established it is a big decision to remove it. Then if we wish to encourage new aspects it grows.  When we consulted forum members, generally the suggestions were for more boards rather than less.  There are a few more changes to make and we hope members like it.  At the end of the day if no one uses them they become pointless and can be archived.  Cheers for the comments though.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
mikem said:

Mike

Hi Mike, thank you for your comments.  There is still more work to do with the boards - I need to contact the Clubs and check which we can archive (many clubs don't use their UKC boards, preferring facebook instead - times have changed).

Any Club that still wants to use UKC are more than welcome and we will of course find a way to accommodate them.

We're also hoping to 'hide' the archive board so it's contents are available under search but don't appear on the homepage all the time.

The number of boards will therefore reduce, I'm just struggling a bit for time at the moment - please bear with me, thanks, Pegasus

kay

Phew! When I found myself in "Caving chat" I thought for a dreadful moment you'd done away with "Idle Chat". But it's still there  (y)

I suppose "caving chat" is the renamed general caving topic - new name gives more incentive to think hard about whether the post would be better placed elsewhere.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Spot on Kay.  'Caving Chat' is just 'uk caving' renamed.  We thought it went better with 'Idle Chat' and would be more likely to direct members to other boards. 

owd git

I feel I must mention all boards  are squeezed to allow the Mountain equipment ad' to occupy the start of each thread, i have to scroll across on each piccie :thumbsdown:
pedantic Owd Git,

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
owd git said:
I feel I must mention all boards  are squeezed to allow the Mountain equipment ad' to occupy the start of each thread, i have to scroll across on each piccie :thumbsdown:
pedantic Owd Git,

Hello OG,

Erm, that doesn't happen on my screen, or Badlad's so don't know what to say, sorry  :(

...and yes I Know it's out of date, will update as soon as poss.

Oceanrower

Roger W said:
That's a good reason for folks to save bandwidth by not posting oversize piccies!

Couldn't agree more. There's certain interesting threads I don't even open now as the majority of posts are just lots and lots of huge piccies.