Cray's hole plantation quarry

dsutton

I was walking from Totnes to Marldon today when I noticed a limestone quarry with what appeared to be a cave entrance.  The quarry is just to the right of the footpath, in an area marked on the map as Cray's hole plantation, near berry pommeroy. The hole, a few metres up the face, was big enough to get into and although I couldnt see much without a torch it looked like it carried on at least some way to the left. There was also another smaller, but probably squeezable, hole lower on the face. Anyone heard of a cave there or do you reckon it just dead-ends out very quickly? Its definitely not ashton red rift which I know is nearish to there.

mrodoc

It does sound like Castle Cave. But that is nearer to the castle in an old quarry so a grid reference  would establish matters.

dsutton

Thanks guys
Looking back at the map and google earth I think it was actually slightly further than I initially thought along the road. I think the grid ref is about SX 840, 624. Castle cave certainly seems a fitting name given it's location. If this is indeed castle cave, what is it like?

Also, is there any kind of book or website with a reasonably complete list of known caves in Devon or do I just have to ask experienced cavers about this sort of thing?

mrodoc

It is a shortish cave that ends in a sump. This was dived by the late Mike Wooding over 40 years ago and has also been partially pumped out on another occasion. The only guide available is the one that the publisher tell you about in the next post  ;) - it has a controversial history and there are a number of inaccuracies. Althernatively you could join the Devon Speleological Society http://www.devonss.org.uk who meet regularly in the Buckfasltleigh area and who are slowly compiling  a list of caves in the region. I presume you know about Afton Cave just up the the road from Castle Cave - one of the longer and more sporting Devon systems.

dsutton

The book is the concise caves of devon right? it sounds interesting but ?35 for it on amazon haha. Im planning to join DSS later in the summer so maybe theyll have a copy (y)

rhychydwr1

THE CONCISE CAVES OF DEVON by A D Oldham, J E A Oldham and J Smart. 1986 revised January 1991,  ii + 62pp + [2] + [1] pp supplements,  40 surveys, 7 maps, 5 photos, with summaries in English, French and German.  The long out of print "Limestones and Caves of Devon" was criticized as being too verbose and of little interest to the sporting caver.  This present volume attempts to overcome these failings by omitting both references and all caves which are filled in or quarried away.  This new revised edition is both 1/3 the price and 1/2 number of pages than its predecessor, even so over 270 caves are described, many with surveys.  Essential reading for anyone considering caving in Devon.  SB  long out of print and highly sought after.
See:  http://www.dcuc.org.uk/index.php?page=cave_access for the latest cave access news.

Mark

Got this one if anyones interested

Attachments

• IMG_0828.JPG
    IMG_0828.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 206

ZombieCake

Funnily enough I was e-mailing Tony the other day about Berry Pomeroy / Castle Cave as part of some stuff on Devon I'm looking at.  If anyone has any more info or piccies on it I'd also be interested (and yes, I do have the book!)

ZombieCake

This is what Berry Pomeroy Castle looked like at Easter (shrunk to fit forum sizes).
(Not fake or photoshopped and humble pie tasted very much like a Sainsbury's Pork Pie  :-[ )
Lens was Olympus f8.0 fisheye, and monochrome 'goth' setting on the Pen-F.

Attachments

• BerryPomeroy_5 shrunk.jpg
    BerryPomeroy_5 shrunk.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 185

mrodoc

Mike Wooding dived the sump in Castle Cave back in the 60's.  There is a report in the Devon Sump Index.

rhychydwr1

rhychydwr1 said:
THE CONCISE CAVES OF DEVON by A D Oldham, J E A Oldham and J Smart. 1986 revised January 1991,  ii + 62pp + [2] + [1] pp supplements,  40 surveys, 7 maps, 5 photos, with summaries in English, French and German.  The long out of print "Limestones and Caves of Devon" was criticized as being too verbose and of little interest to the sporting caver.  This present volume attempts to overcome these failings by omitting both references and all caves which are filled in or quarried away.  This new revised edition is both 1/3 the price and 1/2 number of pages than its predecessor, even so over 270 caves are described, many with surveys.  Essential reading for anyone considering caving in Devon.  SB  long out of print and highly sought after.
See:  http://www.dcuc.org.uk/index.php?page=cave_access for the latest cave access news.

Just reprinted.  Photocopy with DVD bringing it up to date.  PM for a price.  It is more than my life worth to advertise on here.