Warm Holes, Saddleworth - Nov 16

rich_p

When Max420 and I first started caving the hills of Saddleworth held the closest places to look at. With the likes of Fairy Hole and Diggle Wiggle Pit explored we set off to find the last of the local bunch, Warm Holes. After a long indirect walk up the side of rather steep hill we eventually found the small entrance amongst the rocks, however time had crept on so we decided to return another day.

22826109418_dd1822690f_c.jpg

That was several months ago and having learnt much up in Yorkshire since, we thought this little hole would be a straight forward afternoon's caving. I was intrigued to know what was down there having read very little on it besides the survey. We parked at Dovestones Reservoir and headed up the hill and along the ridge with Chew Valley beneath us. After around an hours walk we reached the rock outcrop which held the entrance a few meters down amongst the ferns.

A large rock over the entrance provided a nice natural anchor although the rope needed ample rope protection against the rough gritstone. There was a small drop to a mossy ledge after which the first pitch went down a narrowish gap for around 6m. Both the top of the pitch and half way down required more fiddling around to stop rub.

30684289450_7b55e509b4_c.jpg

30950742086_69315efc79_c.jpg

30985979805_dee5a6dce6_c.jpg

At the bottom a small passage held plenty of lose rock on the floor, a couple of candles on a ledge and the remains of a pink ballon (which we removed). The second pitch (around 4m) followed the straight rift down, nothing secure to re-belay off meant bags and other improvised rope protection got used in several more places.

30869564392_6cd113114e_c.jpg

30869589242_d61fcf5a6d_c.jpg

Max went first while I monitored the various rub points. At the bottom he reported there was a short descent but couldn't go any further as we'd run out of things to jam in-between the rock and rope. We switched over and found having slightly longer legs I could free climb down another 3m or so.

The main way on was down through another narrow section of the rift with a steeply angled slab at the bottom. The survey indicates that would be the 3rd and final pitch with the cave ending shortly after with an overall depth of around 25m.

Max went up to get a camera and flashes and lowered them to me at the bottom of the first pitch for a few quick shots. We'll definitely be returning again to bottom it with either a bag full of rope protectors or a drill and some anchors.

rich_p

Me too until I checked the name on the survey again, I can assure you it was anything but warm!

FYI
In January 2016 CPC Record No 121 p11-18 there is a very full article about the 'Caves of Saddleworth' by Ric Halliwell, including Warm Holes.