Where to go in Devon.

Oceanrower

Hi all,

Heading down to the Devon SS hut for the New Year.

I've never done any caving in Devon so, apart from the obvious (Prid, Bakers Pit and Dog Hole) are there any little known wonders I should be going for?

Also, does anyone know where I can get surveys for the above 3?

Thanks in advance,

OR

The Old Ruminator

Radford Cave is a nice trip with biggish passages. formations and sporting bits ( I should know I fell out of one of them ). I must have put photos on here somewhere. Devon Section ? Not sure of key arrangements. Mrodoc will know.

Oceanrower

Thanks for that. Looks fun. Shame about the comment re. the winged mice. Might have to go back in summer. Though it probably won't be as warm as this!

mrodoc

PM me and I will send you a copy of the Prid survey. Afton Red Rift is a real classic but needs to be taken seriously. If you have never caved in Devon I would do Baker's Pit and Pridhamsleigh as they are close to Buckfastleigh. There are other shorter caves in the area as well.

Maj

The Old Ruminator said:
Radford Cave is a nice trip with biggish passages. formations and sporting bits ( I should know I fell out of one of them ). I must have put photos on here somewhere. Devon Section ? Not sure of key arrangements. Mrodoc will know.

When you do go back in the summer, just double check you have the right key  :)
A few of us went armed with what we thought was the right key (Radford on key fob) only to find it didn't fit. Then found the correct key with a smaller tag saying Radford. Hopefully by now the ambiguity has by been removed. ;)

Maj.

craige

I'm Devon based, member of some clubs down here (PCG and DCME) and happy to help with some trips down here. In addition to ones mentioned (Bakers, Prid, Afton, Dog, Afton) would include Reeds and Bunkers. Bunkers is, in my view, the prettiest local one. Bakers is by far and away the most extensive, and trips into the extensions offer a good amount of caving. Afton is an enjoyable little rift. Prid is the one used by the groups and is v muddy, and very few formations (unless you dive through to Prid 2)