Caving in mallorca

Cavebud

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if  there are any caves here and what the access arrangements are.

Thank you

Fulk

Hi Cavebud, Mallorca is a big lump of limestone and it's riddled with caves; I'm not in a position to advise you on access etc., but ? I don't think you'll have to wait long!!!

Here you go to whet your appetite:

Mitjana 6 by John Forder, on Flickr

rhychydwr1

Many books:

501 GRUTAS / del t?rmino de Pollensa (Mallorca) by J A Encinas S 1994  609 pp hundreds of surveys, almost one a page.  Large A1 location map.  A weighty little tome about an inch and an half thick describing 501 caves on the north tip of Majorca.  Do not go without a copy!  SB

MALLORCA CAVES / An interim guide by Des Marshall 1999 with a 2007 update 20 pp, location maps etc.  Not sure how I missed this when it was first published.  SB

MALLORCA, BELLEZAS EN LA OSCURIDAD. The practical and visual guide to caving in Majorca by Daniel  Mayoral and Tomeu Mateu
What am I going to find in this book?  "Mallorca, bellezas en la oscuridad" is useful guide, with descriptions of 16 of the most wonderful Majorcan caves. - Each cave is presented by an artistic portrait, carried out using different drawing and painting techniques. - An aerial photo with a superposition of the access and the plan view of the cave, helps to give an idea of the location and surrounding area.  - Detailed access , to the cave with a sketch made to scale and an illustration of the route by means of points, time, pictures and partial co-ordinates. - Cross section of the difference of height from the car to the cave. - Detailed and useful descriptions together with large pictures. - Technical details of the cave with spot height of every belay. ? A list of the equipment needed to rig the cave. - Useful advice to make the visit easier. - Cave surveys in 2D and 3D with small photos of the key points. News about the latest explorations made by the Majorcan Caving clubs: - "Cova de Sa Gleda"", the longest underwater cave in Europe (GNM).  - "Cova d'es Coll", a real underwater treasure (GNM) - "Cova des Pas de Vallgornera", new discoveries to add to this amazing and unique cave in Europe, over 23 km of passageways (GELL). Also enclosed is a CD ROM with a compilation of software, surveys, information and lots of useful stuff for cavers.  Furthermore, the CD ROM contents the first " Interactive caves inventory of the Balearics", with over 4000 caves. 

CONTENTS: Foreword:  Cave conservation by J. Vega, President of the F.B.E.  A short introduction.  How to use this guide.  Index of Caves: Cova de Sa Campana, Avenc de la Canal de la Coma Freda, Cova des Coloms I, Avenc d?en Corbera, Cova de Cornavaques, Avenc de s?Embut, El Forat 502, Avenc de Fra Rafel, Avenc des Gel, Cova de Na Mitjana, Cova de Cal Pesso, Coves des Pont - Pirata (2 caves), Avenc des Portuguesos, Cova de Les Rodes, Cova Tancada des Cap de Menorca, Annexe I, Ongoing Explorations;  -"Cova de Sa Gleda", the longest underwater cave in Europe (GNM). -"Cova d'es Coll", a real underwater treasure (GNM) -"Cova des Pas de Vallgornera", new discoveries to add to this amazing and unique cave in Europe, over 23 km of passageways (GELL). Annexe 2, Useful Information:  Resources used in this guide.  Caving Clubs in Majorca.  Multilingual words glossary.  Multimedia CD ROM.  Bibliography.
SB In Spanish
There are some pictures from the book are on youtube:
! No longer available